Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony RX100  (Read 3843 times)

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
Sony RX100
« on: July 31, 2013, 01:02:22 pm »

I've just bought a s/h RX100 and am generally starting to like it, but there seem to be a few things that I could do with some advise on;

I hate the need to charge the battery inside the camera.
Any recommendations or warning about third party chargers or batteries ?
Looking at either the ExPro unit from Amazon or a cheapie from eBay.

Any idea what is the fastest card speed the camera will fully utilise ?
45MB/s ? 95MB/s ? (I expect to shoot 50i 24M video as well as RAW stills)

Any recommendations for a decent slip case ? Anyone used the Axia Australia case for the RX100 ? is it a good fit ?

An auxiliary grip seems to be a good idea, even Sony are making one for it which is pretty much an admission of getting the handling wrong.
The Franiec grip has a good reputation, but has anyone seen or handled Sony's own one (AG-R1) yet ? I can imagine the softer textured surface being easier to hold than the Franiec.

Manual focus; is this pants or am I missing something ? The law on the front dial is hopeless, needing several turns to get from one end to the other.

Tom Montgomery

Re: Sony RX100
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 09:03:51 pm »

I use the Sony BC-TRX charger and it works just fine. I also have a second Sony battery; I've had bad luck with aftermarket batteries and chargers in the past.

I added the Franiec grip, which fits perfectly and is easy to install. I have no experience with the Sony grip, but I can find no fault with the Franiec one, so I never felt the need to look further.

stever

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 12:20:18 am »

I use the Sony BC-TRN charger - not a perfect fit, but it works.  have also had bad results with generic batteries over time and don't think they're worth the trouble.

The images of the Sony grip look virtually identical to the Franiec- cheaper and plastic may give a better grip, but the Franiec works great and will last as long ( or longer) than the camera.

for the price, Sony certainly should have included the grip and the charger

hjulenissen

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 03:20:06 am »

I just got the RX100 M2, and except ergonomy/grip, I think it is close to perfect for what it is.

Quite satisfied with video capabilities as well.

-h

Manoli

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 04:01:26 am »

I've just bought a s/h RX100 and am generally starting to like it, but there seem to be a few things that I could do with some advise on;

I hate the need to charge the battery inside the camera.
Any recommendations or warning about third party chargers or batteries ?
Looking at either the ExPro unit from Amazon or a cheapie from eBay...

I bought a wall charger ExPro from Amazon - good, works well with both Sony batteries and their own.
Manual focus, a waste of time.

I just got the RX100 M2, and except ergonomy/grip, I think it is close to perfect for what it is.

care to expand ?

I found the 'zeiss' licensed lens seems optimised for close focusing.The closer you get to infinity focusing the worse it gets, in other words landscape photography is not it's forte.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 05:07:18 am »

Thanks for the replies so far.
No direct bad experiences with generic batteries so far with the RX100, so I'll probably get the ExPro as it's less than half the price of the Sony OEM.

I'm starting to 'get' the manual focus. The main problem seems to be user expectation, the reality is that's operating at the actual  f stop, so a lot of the time makes little difference due to hyperfocal distance effects. Wide open things are easier to see.
The proportional control doesn't make discover of the functionality easy either, the fast you turn it the greater the rate of change. The focus peaking helps a little, but is damn crude compared to what I'm used to.
It's annoying that these sort of things aren't properly documented. Not even having a decent manual you can download is just crazy.

Still interested to hear of people's experiences with different card speeds and cases. It also looks like some sort of filter holder for a ND would be useful too.

AFairley

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 05:25:34 pm »

I got a spare generic battery and charger.  I rarely use the spare since I get enough mileage out of the original to only have to recharge at the end of the day.  Rather than a grip, I got the leatherette kit from ebay, it make the camera grippier without adding bulk.  I use a small caselogic case, just barely large enough for camera, spare card and spare battery, I think its TBC-302.
Pages: [1]   Go Up