Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mounting a long panorama?  (Read 2821 times)

arlon

• Pbase account
Mounting a long panorama?
« on: July 31, 2013, 09:49:43 am »

I have a panorama that I want to print but the image will be about 2' tall and 10' wide. Any thoughts on how to mount something like that to hang on a wall? ANy ideas appreciated.
Honey, did you bring an extra battery?

marcmccalmont

Re: Mounting a long panorama?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 09:58:31 am »

In the past my solution was to print on canvas and stretch it over plywood I never could figure out a way to mount paper that size at a reasonable price?
This one was such a high aspect ratio I gave up on paper
Marc
to prevent the plywood sap from leaching out I used a white stain blocking primer, forget which one though
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 10:03:55 am by marcmccalmont »
Marc McCalmont

John Caldwell

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 10:02:08 am »

Mount to 1/2" gator foam, laminate. I do a lot of large prints exactly this way. A Pittsburgh firm called Modern Reproductions does that work for me at low cost, but you may well have access to similar services. They have shipped large mounts all over the world for me without a single mishap.

Be sure to do some tests to be certain you understand the interaction between the laminate and your paper. PK papers are a must, although Mk papers take protective coatings well in some instances. I use luster laminate most of the time of papers like Canson Baryta or BC Vibrance Rag; and glossy laminates on metallic papers.

https://plus.google.com/115333803446073695531/about?gl=us&hl=en

Don't hesitate to PM me for more specifics. many other forum participants will have other good ideas too.

John Caldwell

John Caldwell

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 10:02:54 am »

Nice image Marc.

marcmccalmont

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 10:07:14 am »

Nice image Marc.
John, thanks a college friend of mine who lives in Colorado Springs gave me a tour of his favorite places got a few nice shots in places most don't think of...Marc
Marc McCalmont

plui

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 10:28:41 am »

Hi there, you could try mounting to dibond or any aluminum composite material (ACM) it is commonly used in signage and makes for a nice, contemporary finish. There are a few threads on mounting to dibond/acm here on the forum, just do a quick search.

Local sign shop or franchise like sign-o-rama or quicksigns have all the equipment and materal. You could get a quote from them for mounting (the image that you provide) on to the dibond, then laminating the front surface of the image (if desired) for protection from scratching, moisture, etc...

added: And of course, there are also a number of members on the forum that will provide you w a quote :) 
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 10:33:33 am by plui »

arlon

• Pbase account
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 10:54:15 am »

Did some searching and found a few posts on the subject. Getting some ideas. Really appreciate the replies.
Honey, did you bring an extra battery?

jferrari

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 07:43:03 pm »

added: And of course, there are also a number of members on the forum that will provide you w a quote :) 

PM sent
Nothing changes until something changes.

felix5616

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 09:54:44 am »

Use a cold roll laminator, can mount any length material you have. I picked up a 54" wide coda mount. Can handle 2" thickness.

Rand47

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2013, 01:02:49 pm »

I have a panorama that I want to print but the image will be about 2' tall and 10' wide. Any thoughts on how to mount something like that to hang on a wall? ANy ideas appreciated.

I've had these folk make prints for me on aluminum.  Quite beautiful and color accurate.  I give them aRGB tiff files, sized appropriately.  They come with a "float hanger" on the back ready for hanging. 

http://www.metalography.com/

Given the size of your image and associated shipping difficulties, you may want to surf the net to see if there's someone in your area that does this.  Perhaps the folk at Metalography could even recommend someone.

Rand
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 01:08:39 pm by Rand47 »
Rand Scott Adams
Pages: [1]   Go Up