Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ilford Imaging: the end!  (Read 8412 times)

RFPhotography

Re: Ilford Imaging: the end!
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2013, 02:59:58 pm »

Bob, it's not clear to me how the thread gains information value from this kind of commentary. This is a forum for serious users where of course differences of opinion are half the fun, but not personal attacks.

It's not a personal attack, Mark.  He's trying to promote a business.  I don't know whether he stocks Ilford papers or not.  One wouldn't think so from his comments.  Hence the 'talking his book' reference.  Further, the manner in which he's expressed himself, which is barely literate, doesn't do his business any favours and I am disinclined, as a result, to look to his shop as a supplier.  Not the least bit personal.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2013, 03:14:04 pm »

It's not a personal attack, Mark.  He's trying to promote a business.  I don't know whether he stocks Ilford papers or not.  One wouldn't think so from his comments.  Hence the 'talking his book' reference.  Further, the manner in which he's expressed himself, which is barely literate, doesn't do his business any favours and I am disinclined, as a result, to look to his shop as a supplier.  Not the least bit personal.

Well, we have a different view of what passes for *personal*.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2013, 03:16:44 pm »

Then, will the canson paper continue to be made, Mark? It seems like Jim is saying it won't be as it was being made by Ilford. At least, that's what I understood him to say. I hope I'm wrong.

Sharon

The Canson paper is not made by Ilford and I'm not aware of any reason to expect it to be discontinued.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

MHMG

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2013, 03:46:11 pm »

The Canson paper is not made by Ilford and I'm not aware of any reason to expect it to be discontinued.

The Canson Baryta Photographique paper has an extraordinarly similar ink receptor coating and anticurl coating on the verso to the Ifford Gold Fiber Silk product. AFAIK, the Swiss Ilford Imaging's specialty is advanced coatings technology not base sheet paper manufacturing, whereas Canson clearly has its own paper mills. All this suggests the possibility of Ilford supplying the coating know-how for both products but the base sheet coming from Canson in the Canson product but perhaps another paper source for the IGFS product.  It will be interesting to see how both products fare in terms of availability as the Ilford Bankruptcy/reorganization process goes forward.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 04:14:55 pm by MHMG »

RFPhotography

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2013, 04:02:25 pm »

Well, we have a different view of what passes for *personal*.

Apparently.  I know there was no intention to make a personal attack on my part.  If that's not good enough then there's nothing I can do for you.

I do think it's a bit 'comical' that you take him to task for not taking the discussion seriously enough then take me to task for also taking him to task.  But then I do have a bit of a twisted sense of humour.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2013, 06:04:22 pm »

Canson produce a variety of paper products whereas Ilford Imaging only manufacture inkjet papers as far as I know.  I have a number of artist friends who use nothing but Canson paper for water color and drawing.  IFGS found a sweet spot when it was first introduced several years ago.  A lot of us enjoy(ed) printing on it and the quality control of manufacturing was quite good.  I won't be surprised to see further problems with this aspect of the industry.  IMO there are just too many paper manufacturers/choices out there.  Darwinian evolution pretty much always works.

jdoyle1713

• http://www.shadesofpaper.com
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2013, 11:26:13 pm »

Bob.....

Yes this is a personal attack..first of all you don't know me..second you have never been to my website..because if you did you would see I do sell this product..all I was saying is that you need to be prepared when there is no stock.. Never once did i mention anything about what I sell nor did I promote on this board. I try to help out.. I am under several NDA agreements but what I will tell you is read the posts from some of the paper worlds best people and figure it out..it's people like you who keep many away from ever posting valuable information that we all could use to our endless journey for the perfect inkjet print.

Ernst, Mark,Mark and of course Bill thanks for clarifying what I was trying to say..

Sharon the Canson product is not being discontinued. In the past there are multiple threads by Ernst and Mark
On who make what and how they are similar.

Cheers
Jim Doyle
Shades of Paper
Jim Doyle
[url=http://www.shadesofpaper.

texshooter

« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2013, 12:10:22 am »

Pleeze gentle men, you're spellings and sintax is so underprofessional.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 07:56:40 am by texshooter »

Mr. Capp

« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2013, 06:54:45 am »

I thought the papers are selected by the manufacturer; Canson, their own french Milled, or whatever and Ilford outsourcing a paper then regardless it's all sent to Germany to be coated. I wouldn't think ilford is doing both paper and coating, such that canson would be interrupted, and some wise guy with $$$ or Harman should just buy or create their own Gold Fibre silk. I'm more worried about the Rc's like my new Fav, the thicker smooth pearl.

RFPhotography

« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2013, 07:22:57 am »

Bob.....

Yes this is a personal attack..first of all you don't know me..second you have never been to my website..because if you did you would see I do sell this product..all I was saying is that you need to be prepared when there is no stock.. Never once did i mention anything about what I sell nor did I promote on this board. I try to help out.. I am under several NDA agreements but what I will tell you is read the posts from some of the paper worlds best people and figure it out..it's people like you who keep many away from ever posting valuable information that we all could use to our endless journey for the perfect inkjet print.

Ernst, Mark,Mark and of course Bill thanks for clarifying what I was trying to say..

Sharon the Canson product is not being discontinued. In the past there are multiple threads by Ernst and Mark
On who make what and how they are similar.

Cheers
Jim Doyle
Shades of Paper

My suggestion is to attempt to express your thoughts better.  Saying a discussion is 'comical' makes light of it.  Then going on to type like a 12 year old doesn't do anything to change the initial impression.  I actually did attempt to go to your site.  I was on a mobile device. Your site appears to use flyout menus which don't work on mobile.

BobDavid

« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2013, 08:38:10 am »

IGFS has been one of my mainstay papers for years. How close is it to Canson Baryta Photographique? The specs seem nearly identical. I love the slightly "warm" look of IGFS.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up