Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The Digital Print - a review and video interview  (Read 11477 times)

mondeo

The Digital Print - a review and video interview
« on: July 31, 2013, 03:56:55 am »

While I 100% respect the right for Michael to make personal recommendations I would like review's to provide a bit more insight into the product. This review is pretty light on discussing the content of the book and what it adds.

Recently, and I am not just referring to this site, I am not seeing very much added to the digital printing knowledge base. Perhaps this because the technology has matured after amazing growth and evolution over the past 10 to 15 years. I wonder whether this book is re-stating whats already out there?

If the review could address this, or other contributers could, then I would be very grateful

Incidently if you go to peachpit web site and look up the ebook version you can down load chapter 4.

Thanks

michael

Re: The Digital Print - a review and video interview
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 07:49:49 am »

And if you go to the Amazon site you can research the book's content in depth.

Book reviews are to tell you a bit about the book and then for the author to provide his opinion, not to discuss chapter and verse. At least not the book review that I read, and obviously not the ones that I write.

Michael

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 09:49:14 am »

Got my copy yesterday from Amazon..... now to find time to read it through....

Looking forward to it. Have enjoyed and learned from Jeff's previous books.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

mondeo

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 09:52:14 am »

And if you go to the Amazon site you can research the book's content in depth.

Book reviews are to tell you a bit about the book and then for the author to provide his opinion, not to discuss chapter and verse. At least not the book review that I read, and obviously not the ones that I write.

Michael
i suppose I had grown to trust the reviews on LuLa to be more reliable than the average Amazon rant ! I'm not suggesting a list of chapters but the insight as to what the product (boom in this case) adds to the knowledge base on digital printing

Bill in WV

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 12:32:09 pm »

I too just received my copy of "The Digital Print" and know I will spend many hours with it. I greatly respect what Jeff Schewe brings to the world of digital photography and I have learned much from his books and tutorials with Michael.
But, I have to either ask or point out that in Michael's What's New for today he said Jeff rides a Harley, unless something has changed Jeff proudly proclaims that his present ride is a BMW.
Bill Evans
 Currently shooting with Canon

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 02:15:05 pm »

But, I have to either ask or point out that in Michael's What's New for today he said Jeff rides a Harley, unless something has changed Jeff proudly proclaims that his present ride is a BMW.

I was going to correct Mike about the bike brand but I think he was using the "Harley" poetically :~)

Robert-Peter Westphal

• Nature-Photography Westphal
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 02:40:32 pm »

Hello,

when Art is going to shoot the next season of travels to the edge, he should visit Germany which seems to be the real edge of the world.

I'm still wainting for Amazon Germany to deliver the book. I hope they will not use a horsebacked carrier for the delivery. Still so nosy to read the book !!

Robert
'visit my completly renewed gallery at http://www.naturfotografie-westphal.com '

Richowens

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 04:05:05 pm »

Mondeo,

Order the book from Amazon and if you don't like it you can return it.

All you will be out is the shipping.

If this one is anything like the Digial Negative book it will be worth twice the price of admission.

Mine will be here Friday, thanks to my lovely wife.  ;D

Rich

P.S. Jeff......if and when you do a photo book I'll be one of the frst in line.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 04:09:40 pm by Richowens »

Rick Popham

• http://
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2013, 07:24:32 pm »

I guess mine won't get here 'til the end of next week -- not sure why, I had it preordered. 

Jeff, I like your idea for an actual book of photographs. I wonder if you'd consider documenting the process in, say, a LuLa video.  I'd sure be interested in seeing how something like that gets put together.

mas55101

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2013, 10:50:31 pm »

I'm sure the book is filled with great information, but I have a problem with the book from the get-go.  Words are important. They communicate ideas.  The wrong word can create the wrong idea.  It can take you into a completely wrong arena of thought.  There is no such thing as a digital print.  There cannot be.  Prints are analog.  When there is so much misconception about photography and prints and what prints are, let's not cloud the issue.  Jeff should have known better.

stormyboy

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 11:11:10 pm »

In English, the genitive or possessive case can be "translated" at least three ways:
the castle wall = the castle wall
                      = the castle's wall
                      = the wall of the castle
Applying this third example to Jeff's title, I don't see anything wrong.  He's describing a process: "the print of the digital"

Tom

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2013, 12:32:09 am »

There is no such thing as a digital print.  There cannot be.  Prints are analog.

Hum...so, a print made from digital information sent to a printer that receives the digital information and takes the bits and bytes and produces ink droplets based on that digital information is an analog print? Hum, let me cogitate on that...nope, sorry, I call a 15 yard penalty for bullshyte...and a loss of downs! Next I suppose you'll be saying there's no such thing as a digital negative?

Tony Jay

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2013, 02:11:22 am »

I'm sure the book is filled with great information, but I have a problem with the book from the get-go.  Words are important. They communicate ideas.  The wrong word can create the wrong idea.  It can take you into a completely wrong arena of thought.  There is no such thing as a digital print.  There cannot be.  Prints are analog.  When there is so much misconception about photography and prints and what prints are, let's not cloud the issue.  Jeff should have known better.
I am with Jeff here, I think you are the one clouding the issue.
Almost everyone understands exactly what the title of the book actually means - except you!

Tony Jay

Manoli

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2013, 03:42:33 am »

I'm sure the book is filled with great information, but I have a problem ...

I'm sure you're correct, but think you have understated the issue. You may well have more than just one problem ...

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2013, 03:52:13 am »

I was going to correct Mike about the bike brand but I think he was using the "Harley" poetically :~)

And of course there's nothing poetic about a BMW bike - it just goes....! (speaking as an R1150 GS rider of ten years)

Jim

Tony Jay

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2013, 04:12:11 am »

Addit:
If you really don't understand the concept of the digital print - get the book and learn all about it!

Tony Jay

Dan Glynhampton

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2013, 07:56:57 am »

Just got an e-mail to say my copy has been dispatched by Amazon UK (it was pre-ordered last February!) so hopefully those in other European countries will be receiving theirs soon too.

Dan

Peter McLennan

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2013, 11:52:12 am »

Hum...so, a print made from digital information sent to a printer that receives the digital information and takes the bits and bytes and produces ink droplets based on that digital information is an analog print? Hum, let me cogitate on that...nope, sorry, I call a 15 yard penalty for bullshyte...and a loss of downs! Next I suppose you'll be saying there's no such thing as a digital negative?

With the greatest of respect (among my former rides are an R100GS an R90/6 and a K750C and I've ridden motorcycles on five continents over 50 years)  my understanding that that everything physical is analog.  "Digital" is an artifact - an algorithm, a concept.  "Digital" is a way of describing things with ones and zeroes, but it's not real.

Everything real, touchable, physical is analog; from the operation of the imager in the camera to the drops of coloured water that make up the "digital" print.  The fact that the little drops of coloured water are controlled digitally doesn't make the print digital.  It's not made of ones and zeroes, it's made of patterns of drops that are an analogy of the digital information.

Oh boy, am I gonna get in trouble for this....   :D

Rory

• Recent images
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2013, 04:57:26 pm »

With the greatest of respect (among my former rides are an R100GS an R90/6 and a K750C and I've ridden motorcycles on five continents over 50 years)  my understanding that that everything physical is analog.  "Digital" is an artifact - an algorithm, a concept.  "Digital" is a way of describing things with ones and zeroes, but it's not real.

Everything real, touchable, physical is analog; from the operation of the imager in the camera to the drops of coloured water that make up the "digital" print.  The fact that the little drops of coloured water are controlled digitally doesn't make the print digital.  It's not made of ones and zeroes, it's made of patterns of drops that are an analogy of the digital information.

Oh boy, am I gonna get in trouble for this....   :D

Bit of a tempest, but the concept is interesting - what is analog?  Analog devices work on analog signals.  So the key is what is an analog vs digital signal.  Here is the definition from wikipedia:

An analog or analogue signal is any continuous signal for which the time varying feature (variable) of the signal is a representation of some other time varying quantity, i.e., analogous to another time varying signal. For example, in an analog audio signal, the instantaneous voltage of the signal varies continuously with the pressure of the sound waves. It differs from a digital signal, in which a continuous quantity is represented by a discrete function which can only take on one of a finite number of values.

Clearly the signal for a modern "digital" inkjet printer is digital, in that it is composed of a series of finite, quantized digital values.  So I'm with Jeff on this one.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/roryhi

michael

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2013, 05:44:53 pm »

Are you folks serious?!

The purpose of language is to communicate. Anyone who considers Jeff's book as not being about "digital" printing does not have clarity of communication as their first priority.

Does the word pedantic resonate?

Sorry Jeff, loss of downs and yards isn't penalty enough. As far as I'm concerned the game has been forfeit by these pedants.

Michael

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up