Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: color vs bw  (Read 3368 times)

armand

• Photos
color vs bw
« on: July 31, 2013, 12:19:17 am »

which one?

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Re: color vs bw
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 03:11:33 pm »

which one?

The b&w gets my vote, but I might fiddle a little with the colour sliders (if it's LR you've used for the conversion). I think the foliage on the left is a bit dark.

Jeremy

armand

• Photos
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 05:22:49 pm »

The b&w gets my vote, but I might fiddle a little with the colour sliders (if it's LR you've used for the conversion). I think the foliage on the left is a bit dark.

Jeremy

You are right that they are darker than in the color version but not because of the color rendition, I just did a local darkening in Silver Effex as I thought it's too bright and gets too much attention comparing to the main subject. In the color version it doesn't look that bad and I didn't change it.

WalterEG

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 06:34:38 pm »

I am, as a rule, an almost fanatical adherent to B&W.  But in this case I feel that there is a very strong design element of the sequence of blue forms leading to the bluey-grey timber of the barrel.  That strength is gone in the mono conversion

W

wmchauncey

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 08:18:50 pm »

One thing I've found about those conversions is that sometimes is you make selections of various parts of the image and
make different looking conversions of each part, you can sometimes end up with something quite dramatic.
The things you do for yourself die with

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 09:18:59 pm »

I am, as a rule, an almost fanatical adherent to B&W.  But in this case I feel that there is a very strong design element of the sequence of blue forms leading to the bluey-grey timber of the barrel.  That strength is gone in the mono conversion
W

+1
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

John R

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 10:23:23 pm »

Taken with a 1.7 sensor Pentax Mx-1. A really nice compact camera. I felt the lack of viewfinder and a slight lag was not what I wanted, so regretfully took it back. I took several shots hoping to capture a lightening strike. I was unsuccessful. But make no mistake, this was a lightening storm and sky.

JMR (John R)

Arlen

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 12:54:42 am »

W

I agree about blue design element. Very nice indeed. The only thing for me is that the foliage on the left is a small distraction in the color version, but not in the the black and white version--which I would have thought was quite compelling if I had not seen the color version.

MoreOrLess

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 02:58:44 am »

W

I'd agree, I think your losing some of the character in the rust staining on the wood with the mono version as well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up