Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Color Management and PDF`s Confusion  (Read 5735 times)

Robert Boire

• www.robertboire.ca
Color Management and PDF`s Confusion
« on: July 30, 2013, 06:45:54 pm »

Hi,

Lets say I create a pdf from a color managed application- say I export images from LR to a pdf.  If I now view it on my profiled monitor but outside the application - ie Adobe Reader - am I seeing the effect of the monitor profile? Is there preferred profile to use when I export? I am guessing sRGB? Or does it even matter and is this relatively meaningless?

Thanks

R

Tony Jay

Re: Color Management and PDF`s Confusion
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 07:15:30 pm »

Hi,

Lets say I create a pdf from a color managed application- say I export images from LR to a pdf.  If I now view it on my profiled monitor but outside the application - ie Adobe Reader - am I seeing the effect of the monitor profile?... Is there preferred profile to use when I export? I am guessing sRGB?...
Robert the monitor profile has nothing to do with profiles exported with PDF's.
The preferred profile has everything to do with the end use of the image in PDF form ie print or web, or whatever.
sRGB is the best alternative for web usage, but, IMHO anyway, an appalling choice for high-end printing.

Tony Jay

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 08:36:43 pm »

If I now view it on my profiled monitor but outside the application - ie Adobe Reader - am I seeing the effect of the monitor profile?

In an ICC aware app, yes. Outside and ICC aware application, no. So like an image document, the PDF is no different in terms of the correct color appearance: this is based upon the application and how it may (or may not) understand color management.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Tony Jay

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 04:30:21 am »

Andrew has correctly understood your first question - my apologies for misreading what you said.

Tony Jay

jrsforums

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 08:39:05 am »

In an ICC aware app, yes. Outside and ICC aware application, no. So like an image document, the PDF is no different in terms of the correct color appearance: this is based upon the application and how it may (or may not) understand color management.

Is Adobe Reader ICC aware?
John

xpatUSA

• Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 01:10:39 pm »

Is Adobe Reader ICC aware?
Version 10 on my Windows XP machine is.

You can find an ICC test PDF to download from here:

http://color.org/version4ready.xalter

best regards,

Ted