Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR5 1:1 preview generation speed  (Read 2356 times)

pero

LR5 1:1 preview generation speed
« on: July 30, 2013, 10:58:56 am »

I´m trying to speed up my import and work process in LR5 and have a question about preview generation.

I have a D800 and use 14bit raw, for both lossless compressed and uncompressed raw files LR5 use about 9 seconds to generate each 1:1 preview. Is this the speed I should expect? (I use a 15" Retina MBP 2.6GHz i7 with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD)

I consider using Photo Mechanic for filecopy and deletion of bad images before adding to LR5 but would prefer to only use LR5 if there is another way of speeding things up a bit.

stever

Re: LR5 1:1 preview generation speed
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 02:38:41 pm »

sounds about right - i'm running windows with 16gb memory (which I don't think makes a difference) and about the same processor.  takes about 6 sec to render 1:1 from a 5D3 image

PhotoEcosse

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 03:18:53 pm »

If by 1:1 Preview, you mean the stage, after importing files, when you click on one and then bring it up to 100%, then my D800 lossless compressed take about 5 seconds while the screen says "Loading".. (slightly faster processor than yours and 16Gb but files on external normal HD, no SSD)

For me that is OK as I work with two 27" Dell monitors and the 100% will be on the 2nd screen so I can still be working on the normal sized image on Screen 1 while it loads.
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 06:11:31 pm »

So it's slow at first loading at 1:1 previews?

How fast do the previews update after applying adjustments including curves, lens profile, etc. at the same zoom level? Maybe LR is just caching the initial 1:1 preview. Is scrolling slow as well?

There are preferences setting for automatically tossing the 1:1 preview after a certain length of time. Might check that.

Other than that there's LR performance optimization tips on Adobe's site you can try out.

pero

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 02:18:54 am »

If by 1:1 Preview, you mean the stage, after importing files, when you click on one and then bring it up to 100%, then my D800 lossless compressed take about 5 seconds while the screen says "Loading".. (slightly faster processor than yours and 16Gb but files on external normal HD, no SSD)
I do the preview generation during import to avoid the long wait while browsing the pictures the first time.

I did the timing by looking at the import bar and take the time for preview generation of one picture (it counts while it is working)
Import was finished when I got my 9s time.

stever

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 09:38:40 am »

my 6sec time was averaged over a number of images with the 1:1 rendering done after import so your 9 sec still sounds about right - should add that this is LR4, hoping for a little better from 5 when I get time to upgrade
Pages: [1]   Go Up