Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Driver for new Epson 9890 - what am I missing?  (Read 2399 times)

neilwill

Driver for new Epson 9890 - what am I missing?
« on: July 30, 2013, 08:57:05 am »

So I take delivery of my shiny new 9890 and am very excited. Makes my older 9800 look decidedly meek.

But then here's the catch. The driver supplied with the new machine does not offer me the full range of media options under 'media type'.

My old 9800 driver offers me all sorts of media types like Hot/Cold Press, Somerset Velvet, various canvases etc etc. The new 9890 driver only offers me a few basic generic options like 'textured fine art paper' and so on.

So I spend days downloading various 'updated' 9890 drivers from various Epson sites, but they all have the same limited media options?? I'm confused. Is it just me? Possibly a regional thing? I'm in South Africa, maybe we don't qualify for the full driver out here in the sticks?

Local Epson support suggest using the generic media types (textured fine art paper for Cold Press for example) but surely 'pretty close' is not not what I took out another home loan for?

Anyone else have the same issue?

neilwill

Re: Driver for new Epson 9890 - what am I missing?
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 10:16:06 am »

you should look for "profiles"

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Pro/ICCProfiles/proImagingICCProfiles_StylusPro78909890.do?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&profileFor=proImagingICCProfiles_StylusPro78909890

here they are

Thanks for this. But it's not the profiles that I'm missing, those I have found and downloaded
What I'm missing is the "Media Types" which is under Print Settings in the Epson drivers

« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 10:18:01 am by neilwill »

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 10:34:54 am »

Did you properly install the driver from the disc or their site?  Once you go to print, there should be the "Page Setup" button by the image preview.  There will be another pop-up which should have 3 tabs (Main, Page Layout & Utility).  The Main tab will have the Media setting and from there "Media Type".

If you don't show this, I would reinstall the driver file from Epson.
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=171985&infoType=Overview

Hope this helps.

hugowolf

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 10:37:00 am »

What location are you in? I know the driver in some European countries often comes with a lack of profiles, but even then it usually comes with Velvet Fine Art.

Brian A

Garnick

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 10:38:32 am »

Hmmm...I've seen this issue on the forums before, but unfortunately I can't recall the remedy :-[.  I'm sure you will receive more and better information, but one thing I can suggest is that you make sure the 9890 is selected as the "Default Printer".  I'll see if I can find more info and send it along.

Gary
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

neilwill

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 12:23:20 pm »

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. To be clear, I have all the correct profiles, the problem is in the 'media type' options.
Attached below is a screen grab from 9800 driver showing the full range of available media types.
Also attached below is screen grab from 9890 showing sad little collection of available options.

I'm in South Africa and I have seen on the forums people from similarly isolated countries (europe :)) who have similar problems. 

I have un-installed and re-installed all the latest updated drivers I can find but still no luck.

Doesn't make sense. 

hugowolf

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 01:18:23 pm »

The Media Type dropdown from my 9890 looks very similar to yours, except after Others, I have a list of papers that mostly came out after the printer was introduced: including the hot and cold pressed papers. I have exactly the same papers listed in the Fine Art Paper sub menu.

Brian A.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 05:02:05 pm »

I can see them on my 9900. You may need to clean things up on your Mac and make sure you don't install apples Epson drivers with software update.

/

neilwill

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2013, 04:58:42 am »

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. I have 'cleaned' my Mac as per Wayne Fox (thank you) and reloaded latest driver (ver9.04) but still no joy. Driver still doesn't offer me any of the new media like Hot Press as 'media types'.  Epson South Africa are saying that I must just use available media types (e.g. USFAP for Hot Press) and that the 9890 is just made that way. Not sure I believe them entirely but seem to have hit a dead end. Will do tests with the various media types and just make the best of it. 

hugowolf

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2013, 04:41:45 pm »

Have you tried updating the firmware?

It is easy enough to set up custom media settings. If you don't have the ICC profiles for Cold Press, etc, PM me with your email address and I will send them to you.

Brian A

neilwill

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2013, 09:05:32 am »

Finally! Success! Epson South Africa got a reply from Epson Europe and they confirmed that there was a problem with latest 9890 driver (ver9.04) posted as available to download. Apparently something about how initially the driver was complete and correct, and then they tweaked it or something and it lost all the new media options (Hot/Cold Press etc). They have now corrected/rectified the issue and the driver on the Epson US site is the full version. I downloaded it and hey presto, it works. Now under 'Media Types' I have the full range of options. Yeah!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up