Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: "The Digital Print" by Jeff Schewe is now available  (Read 12877 times)

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
"The Digital Print" by Jeff Schewe is now available
« on: July 30, 2013, 05:26:59 am »

Amazon delivered my copy yesterday. I've only gotten through the introduction and chapter one as well as doing some light skimming ahead.

I think it's a keeper. It's a model of lucidity,  which is hard to do with a subject that based on most of the other books and blogs on the subject that I've read clearly has an infinite capacity to trap the writer and reader in digressions and jargon.

Well done Mr. Schewe!

PhotoEcosse

Re: "The Digital Print" by Jeff Schewe is now available
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 05:53:52 am »

The Digital Print: Preparing Images in Lightroom and Photoshop for Printing by Jeff Schewe (22 Jul 2013)

£15.68 Paperback prime

£15.19 Kindle Edition

Looks good. But why is the Kindle edition so expensive? With my own books, if the retail paperback price is, say, £15 then I set the Kindle price at about £7. It brings me approximately the same royalty and provides the buyer (who, after all, is not getting a nice physical book to keep on his bookshelf) with a decent discount. I don't do this out of sheer altruism - I find that well-priced Kindle (and iBook) editions sell far more copies if they are just under half the price of the printed edition and, consequently, bring me far more income.

"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 11:19:42 am »

Looks good. But why is the Kindle edition so expensive?

You can take that up with Amazon/Peachpit. I don't get involved in pricing and distribution...

But, if you notice in the various categories where my books live, the eBook versions are not very deeply discounted across the board.

Schewe

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 11:21:04 am »

I think it's a keeper.

Thanks for the kind words...and may I say, I think you have excellent taste?

:~)

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 12:09:16 pm »

The Digital Print: Preparing Images in Lightroom and Photoshop for Printing by Jeff Schewe (22 Jul 2013)

£15.68 Paperback prime   

£15.19 Kindle Edition

In the US, the Kindle edition is $22.99 and the paperback $31.98. (plus $3.99 if you just have to have it tomorrow).

Jim

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 05:54:36 pm »

For those of you, like me, who are waiting for the dead-tree version to be delivered, Amazon offers a fairly generous preview—including the table of contents, but much more than that—in the link for the Kindle edition.

(I suspect Jeff's feelings wouldn't be hurt if you ordered both, and I was an early adopter of electronic books, but I'm partial to print where photography is involved.  No pun intended in this particular case.)

judymcintosh

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 03:21:12 am »

Wow the preview looks really good. I'll look at ordering soon. Copyright 2014, now thats what I call being ahead of the game. Jeff can you give us the inside on whether the Blackhawks will win again next year?

papa v2.0

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 05:48:14 am »

Copyright 2014, does that mean we can copy it now!
Iain

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2013, 09:29:58 am »

Iain

LOL!

PhotoEcosse

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2013, 10:36:50 am »

Iain

Wonderful!   :-*
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 10:45:39 am »

Looks good. But why is the Kindle edition so expensive? With my own books, if the retail paperback price is, say, £15 then I set the Kindle price at about £7. It brings me approximately the same royalty and provides the buyer (who, after all, is not getting a nice physical book to keep on his bookshelf) with a decent discount. I don't do this out of sheer altruism - I find that well-priced Kindle (and iBook) editions sell far more copies if they are just under half the price of the printed edition and, consequently, bring me far more income.

Well that is a long history that you can read in a short ebook called "the battle of $9.99". Basically, when the publishers signed their original contract with Amazon, they were more worried about a good DRM than with the rights they where giving Amazon. Amazon started to sell ebooks with a top price of $9.99, usually that mean that with new titles they were loosing money... They had to pay more to the publisher, but they got their money back from selling kindles and not so new books, the idea for amazon was to make more attractive to buy ebooks instead of physical books.

Publishers were horrified, they were quite worried people get used to pay just $9.99 dollars for just-published books, instead of the $20-$30 dollars, but they couldn't do anything, until apple decided to release their iBook store together with the iPad. Until that the kindle was the king of ebooks... Apple signed an agreement with the publishers saying they let the publisher select the price of the ebook, and apple keeps just about 30% (like the apps). Publishers started only to release new books to iBook store, and amazon was forced to change their agreement with the publishers.

Now publishers select the price at all ebook stores, amazon and apple get an percentage back for each sell, the rest goes directly to the publisher, and the publisher has this mentality that new books have to have a high price, physical and electronic ones.

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2013, 11:48:49 am »

Got my copy yesterday as well, it does look good. I have enjoyed Jeff's previous books so I am sure this one will remain in the library.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

Schewe

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2013, 02:20:58 pm »

Jeff can you give us the inside on whether the Blackhawks will win again next year?

Yes, they will...and the Bears will win the Superbowl and the Bulls will win the NBA finals. Alas, The Cubs and White Sox will still suck.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2013, 02:57:29 pm »

A question if you don't mind Jeff. I print using Image Print on an Epson 11880. I use both LR and Photoshop to prepare images for print but never print directly out of either application. Would you recommend I purchase the Digital Print. I just find I m not interested in figuring out ll the profiling issues out of the Adobe programs and if that is what the book is mostly about it won't be very useful to me.

I am currently busy with the Digital Negative. I wish I had discovered it before. Really finding it very valuable. Ansel Adams books The Camera, The print and The Negative were very influential to me in my youth. Helped me relate to this book of yours. Thank you for the effort you clearly put into it.

On the pricing thing I have been reading books electronically for many years and don't see why e books should be any cheaper than p books. I get the same info in a more convenient form.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

Schewe

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2013, 03:15:17 pm »

I use both LR and Photoshop to prepare images for print but never print directly out of either application. Would you recommend I purchase the Digital Print. I just find I m not interested in figuring out ll the profiling issues out of the Adobe programs and if that is what the book is mostly about it won't be very useful to me.

Well, I suggest you check out the table of contents on the Amazon book listing (you can "Look Inside") and see the various topics. I even cover a bit of ImagePrint in the book although it's mainly about printing from Lightroom or Photoshop. However, there's a lot of content about preparing images for print and that would be useful regardless how you print.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2013, 03:15:42 pm »

OK so I found the thread on the book in the Printing sub forum. That kind of decided me. Think I will buy the book.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2013, 04:01:27 am »

Just looked at the Amazon page for this book and clicked 'Surprise Me!'and it did, on page 52 I found:-
"I've hunted and searched (well, OK, I Googled), and unfortunately, I can't find any free utilities for profile renaming for Windows"

Sorry, but there is one, a freeware utility called ICC Toolkit, originally written by Andy Shepherd back in 2000, but like a lot of things on Windows stilll works fine now, even on 64 bit Windows 7.
It can be downloaded from http://www.tlbtlb.com/links/

I guess Peachpit don't like the idea of ebooks if you only save 49p(73c) by ordering the Kindle version.

Schewe

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2013, 04:20:53 am »

Sorry, but there is one, a freeware utility called ICC Toolkit, originally written by Andy Shepherd back in 2000, but like a lot of things on Windows stilll works fine now, even on 64 bit Windows 7.
It can be downloaded from http://www.tlbtlb.com/links/

So, did you download it and test it? I saw ICC Profile Toolkit but was unable to test and confirm that it works, have you?

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2013, 04:44:56 am »

So, did you download it and test it? I saw ICC Profile Toolkit but was unable to test and confirm that it works, have you?
Yes, the download link works and I've been using it for years. Dead simple and just works.

churly

Re: "The Digital Print" by Jeff Schewe is now available (In Canada???)
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2013, 12:09:32 pm »

Has anyone in Canada gotten Amazon.ca to cough up Jeff's book yet?  I am wondering it they are just slow getting stock or they have lost my pre-order from January
Chuck Hurich
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up