Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to use my V mount Leaf back on a camera with aperture priority mode  (Read 2889 times)

nkrax

Hello all! I'm looking for some help/advice regarding my Leaf Aptus V back.

I'm currently using my Aptus II 6 on a Hasselblad 503CW. Everything is great! My only issue is that sometimes I need a "smarter" body.

Is there any way to use my back (and lenses) on a body with aperture priority? I can't seem to think of a way. I have a feeling I will need a whole new body and back. If that is the case, is there a way to at least use my lenses?

Thanks in advance!

nathan

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto

Hi,

If you consider Hasselblad H-series, there is an adapter for V-series lenses. I don't know about Aptus but the P45+ I have can be fitted by Phase One to other cameras.

You could also consider getting a DSLR if you need a smarter camera...

Best regards
Erik

Hello all! I'm looking for some help/advice regarding my Leaf Aptus V back.

I'm currently using my Aptus II 6 on a Hasselblad 503CW. Everything is great! My only issue is that sometimes I need a "smarter" body.

Is there any way to use my back (and lenses) on a body with aperture priority? I can't seem to think of a way. I have a feeling I will need a whole new body and back. If that is the case, is there a way to at least use my lenses?

Thanks in advance!

nathan
Erik Kaffehr

nkrax

Hi,

If you consider Hasselblad H-series, there is an adapter for V-series lenses. I don't know about Aptus but the P45+ I have can be fitted by Phase One to other cameras.

You could also consider getting a DSLR if you need a smarter camera...

Best regards
Erik

Erik,

I will have a look at that H series system. I'm feeling pretty good that I could find a lens adaptor, but more importantly the back adaptor. I don't think it's possible :(

On the dslr front, I have a 1ds mk3, but it just doesn't cut it. In fact, i'm on a job right now using the Canon and thinking about how badly I want my medium format.

yaya

• http://yayapro.com

Nathan,

You can send your back in and have its mount changed to either Mamiya 645AFD, Hasselblad H or Contax, which are all "smarter" bodies.

If you go the Mamiya route we can provide an adapter for your V lenses. Note that if you use your lenses you will have to stop down manually for focusing/ metering. The camera will use its own focal plane shutter so you just have to adjust the aperture on the lens

There are adapters made by e.g. Novoflex for the Contax body

Contact your local Mamiya Leaf dealer for further information and pricing

Kindest

Yair
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

nkrax

Thanks very much for the reply. I'm starting to think a second system is in order. After all, a backup MF wouldn't be so bad :)

Gigi

• some work

Not sure if this helps, but can't you just set the aperture you want, and adjust shutter speed per the histogram on the digital back? It shouldn't take more than 2-3 shots to dial it in, once you are familiar with your settings.
Geoff

TMARK

Light meter.

nkrax

Both good suggestions, but too time consuming. I've been shooting in rooms recently with a ton of window light. I also use strobes at the same time. So, when clouds roll in, the light changes drastically in the room and shooting manual just isn't working. I use my 1ds Mk3, set on AV, and let the camera's computer keep my exposures consistent. I don't want to put my clients through the inconsistency of any other method.

TMARK

Both good suggestions, but too time consuming. I've been shooting in rooms recently with a ton of window light. I also use strobes at the same time. So, when clouds roll in, the light changes drastically in the room and shooting manual just isn't working. I use my 1ds Mk3, set on AV, and let the camera's computer keep my exposures consistent. I don't want to put my clients through the inconsistency of any other method.

How about a metered finder?  Change shutter speed when the light changes, .  That's how I do it with a V.  That being said, its much more convenient with an H or a Mamiya AFd etc.  Not just that its automatic but because you get 1/3 stop changes in speed, rather than the V's full stop.  More acuarte exposures.  With film this mattered less because of negative film's latitude, but with digital or chromes, it can be a problem.

nkrax

How about a metered finder?  Change shutter speed when the light changes, .  That's how I do it with a V.  That being said, its much more convenient with an H or a Mamiya AFd etc.  Not just that its automatic but because you get 1/3 stop changes in speed, rather than the V's full stop.  More acuarte exposures.  With film this mattered less because of negative film's latitude, but with digital or chromes, it can be a problem.

That's a great suggestion...I had not thought about that (metered finder). Having said that, I like how you are thinking with the full stops of the V. I appreciate that you understand what I am trying to find/accomplish. Thank you.

So, lets say I am starting new and buying a new system. I must say that I really like my Leaf back (could go Phase as well). I'm a little apprehensive about going with a new(er) Blad since you can't use 3rd party backs. But, their systems seem to be the "smartest" and the type I am looking for. Since I won't have any lenses for this new system, I do like the idea of the Blad and that 35-90 lens. I do need wide angle at times and the 35-90 would probably cover all of my bases. I'm also comfortable buying used. A H3D would be a nice price point for me. Or do I go Mamiya 645 with a Leaf back? Hmm...

Any suggestions/advice would be amazing! Thank you so much.

nkrax

Hmmm...I just did a little research (good call) and it seems as though Hassy backs are not compatible with Capture 1. C1 is a must. What a shame.

TMARK

Hmmm...I just did a little research (good call) and it seems as though Hassy backs are not compatible with Capture 1. C1 is a must. What a shame.

Phocus isn't bad, makes a nice file.  Lightroom does well with the H3D files I've run through it (H3d-31, H3d-39).  My take on H versus Mamiya 645 is that the H has a better finder, higher sync if you need it (some don't), perhaps better AF and feels better.  On the Mamiya side the lenses are lighter, its easier to hold in portrait, has a grip option (newer models), has high speed focal shutter and a mirror that is well damped for handheld ambient. 

I am partial to Leaf backs.  I think the Aptus 75/Aptus II 7 is my favorite back I've used.  One nice thing about a Leaf or Phase back in H mount is that you can slap it on a Mamiya RZ with an adapter and that combo is, I think, the best MF option around, save for perhaps a Rollei Hy6/Leaf AFi.

Good luck with this!

atulshoots

Re: How to use my V mount Leaf back on a camera with aperture priority mode
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2013, 04:52:07 am »

use mamiya rz with auto pentaprizm

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2013, 05:29:49 am »

Hi,

You could investigate the 200 series Hasselblads, they had all kind of smart features, including autoexposure.

Best regards
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

cg451

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2014, 07:27:03 pm »

I recently joined LL, and if you are still working on a solution I have a recommendation: use your Leaf back on either your existing 500 series bodies, or purchase a 200 series body. You will be able to use all your Hasselblad lenses and other kit. With the 200 series you would then need a one-shot cable release from Kapture (KaptureGroup.com) to wake up the Leaf back at speeds faster than 1/90th second (the default sync speed for the 2003) . Hope this helps.
Pages: [1]   Go Up