Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: D800E & Zeiss lenses  (Read 11185 times)

TMARK

Re: D800E & Zeiss lenses
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2013, 10:05:36 am »

I see your point, but there are more people who use high-end gear in this section than any other.  Strictly silo-ing the posts doesn't contribute as much to the expansion of knowledge as a cross post like this, which is very reasoned.

Cross-talk is fine (though more often than not it usually degenerates into 'this is better than that'), but looking through the posts here there isn't any (at least not between 35mm and MF), and looking at the OP and the title of this thread ('D800E and Zeiss Lenses') I'm not sure how it would emerge (though maybe a post such as, 'The Zeiss 50/1.4 doesn't fit my Pentax 6x7 - help!' might kick it off).

I'm no bean-counter, but the site has categories for a reason, and unless someone is going to bring MF into the discussion (other than me discussing that it hasn't been discussed - confusing, eh), this thread would be more appropriate in the (more general) 'Cameras, Lenses and Shooting Gear'.

Just my 2c.

SeanBK

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2013, 11:30:52 am »

Just want to thank everybody for their input. I saw @ my local store quite a few Zeiss everybody mentioned. But I just loved what I saw thru' my viewfinder & result on LCD, so I DID go ahead with Zeiss 100mm f2. micro. Love that long throw in focus and such nice tight focusing ring. Thanks guys for your guidance, Grazia, Merci, Arigato, Shukria, Dhanyawaad, Danke Schon,  :)
 Peace.

Camdavidson

• http://www.camerondavidson.com
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2013, 05:38:43 pm »

The Zeiss glass is exceptional - I use a standard D800 with the 21, 28 and 100.  Not quite the same as a Mamiya with a Credo but pretty damn good. 

buckshot

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2013, 06:49:35 pm »

Not quite the same as a Mamiya with a Credo but pretty damn good. 

Hooray - at last - a reference to MF  ;)

orchidblooms

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2013, 09:54:15 pm »

moved to nikon from olympus e-1...

using d800e
zeiss 15, 35f2 100 f2 and new 135 - looking for nice used 28 and waiting for new 55...

happy with all of them

SeanBK

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2013, 07:08:32 am »

The very knowledgeable salesman said he saw the prototype of 100mm (or was 135mm he mentioned?). That lens will be released in 2014 has amazing resolving power, nothing like anything on the market. Also it prob'ly will be very expensive.

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2013, 07:35:50 am »

... Also it prob'ly will be very expensive.

What, unlike all those other really expensive Zeiss lenses? That'll make a change then. Really, at the price they charge, you could be forgiven for thinking that maybe, just maybe, they could do autofocus too

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2013, 08:17:46 am »

Currently using 21 & 50 Makro on D800. Quite satisfied.

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2013, 09:08:02 am »

Hooray - at last - a reference to MF  ;)

I was looking for it too.

;D

Ajoy Roy

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2013, 09:52:51 am »

What, unlike all those other really expensive Zeiss lenses? That'll make a change then. Really, at the price they charge, you could be forgiven for thinking that maybe, just maybe, they could do autofocus too
Zeiss do Auto focus, but for for Sony cameras only. Read some where that they are restricted by some license agreement to make MF only for other cameras.
http://towardsperfectfutures.wordpress.com/2012/09/10/why-zeiss-lenses-for-nikon-or-canon-have-no-af/
Ajoy Roy, image processing

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2013, 10:26:16 am »

Ajoy, thanks for that. Sounds like a restraint on trade to me, and given that a good number of Canon & Nikon lenses are made outside of Japan anyway ...

Lacunapratum

« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2013, 01:46:28 am »

I wonder whether Zeiss thought of this way back when they parted ways with Hasselblad.

jerome_m

« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2013, 01:12:34 pm »

Zeiss do Auto focus, but for for Sony cameras only. Read some where that they are restricted by some license agreement to make MF only for other cameras.
http://towardsperfectfutures.wordpress.com/2012/09/10/why-zeiss-lenses-for-nikon-or-canon-have-no-af/

Zeiss did restrict themselves to the Sony A mount for AF lenses and some people speculated that there was some license agreement until Zeiss proved them wrong in issuing AF lenses for the Fuji X-mount in their "touit" series.

Petrus

« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2013, 02:17:11 pm »

I have a feeling that when aiming for the best possible optical and mechanical quality autofocus is out of question. Decent autofocus needs light and nimble construction to work fast, which means severe design restrictions and prevents using heavy but precise brass parts. Inbuilt electronics also will not last as long as a simple mechanical only lens. There are thousands of working lenses over 100 years old, just needing occasional re-greasing. Average life expectancy of modern lenses is only 10 years or so, due to electrical failures. If I pay something like $4000 for a normal prime lens, I expect it to last longer than me. I have binoculars (4 lenses total) with 30 year warranty (Zeiss), they still work fine after 28 years, they cost $750 back then, about $1600 in today's dollars. Best lenses should be the same.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2013, 03:54:44 pm »

Hi,

The Zeiss lenses for Sony are designed and built by Sony under QA by Zeiss. They may also be based on Zeiss designs.

Best regards
Erik

Zeiss did restrict themselves to the Sony A mount for AF lenses and some people speculated that there was some license agreement until Zeiss proved them wrong in issuing AF lenses for the Fuji X-mount in their "touit" series.
Erik Kaffehr

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2013, 04:02:15 pm »

Hi,

I have a few Minolta AF lenses from the mid eighties, they have neven been to service, except one of them having a loose tripod mount repaired, so I may not share your views.

I also bought six Hasselblad V-lenses of similar age. They work just fine.

I had a single camera failing on me in 40 years of use. That was a Minolta XD-7. Had around 20 cameras all except the XD-7 are still working, as far as I know.

Best regards
Erik

I have a feeling that when aiming for the best possible optical and mechanical quality autofocus is out of question. Decent autofocus needs light and nimble construction to work fast, which means severe design restrictions and prevents using heavy but precise brass parts. Inbuilt electronics also will not last as long as a simple mechanical only lens. There are thousands of working lenses over 100 years old, just needing occasional re-greasing. Average life expectancy of modern lenses is only 10 years or so, due to electrical failures. If I pay something like $4000 for a normal prime lens, I expect it to last longer than me. I have binoculars (4 lenses total) with 30 year warranty (Zeiss), they still work fine after 28 years, they cost $750 back then, about $1600 in today's dollars. Best lenses should be the same.
Erik Kaffehr

NancyP

« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2013, 04:55:17 pm »

I don't have a D800E, just a Canon 6D, but the Zeiss Distagon 21mm f/2.8 is a lovely lens for landscape.

Petrus

« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2013, 01:35:31 am »

Hi,

I have a few Minolta AF lenses from the mid eighties, they have neven been to service, except one of them having a loose tripod mount repaired, so I may not share your views.

Do you mean my pessimistic view about the longevity of "electronic" lenses (they certainly do not all die when 10 years old), of the general view that a no compromise manual lens like Zeiss can be designed without as much mechanical and optical compromise, is likely to be better and will last longer than an AF lens with electronics?

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2013, 02:11:33 am »

Well,

Electronic lenses lasting 10 years is what I don't agree on, as I have at least half a dozen 20+ years old electronic lenses that work fine.

My experience is low failure rate, but that may change with modern construction, of course.

Best regards
Erik

Do you mean my pessimistic view about the longevity of "electronic" lenses (they certainly do not all die when 10 years old), of the general view that a no compromise manual lens like Zeiss can be designed without as much mechanical and optical compromise, is likely to be better and will last longer than an AF lens with electronics?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 02:14:14 am by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

telyt

« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2013, 01:36:59 pm »

Well,

Electronic lenses lasting 10 years is what I don't agree on, as I have at least half a dozen 20+ years old electronic lenses that work fine.

My experience is low failure rate, but that may change with modern construction, of course.

Best regards
Erik

I think it's too soon to say whether the adoption of electronics per se will influence longevity.  It's more likely the quailty of design & manufacture is a bigger influence whether electronic or mechanical.  I've had no issues with well-made 50-year-old auto-diaphragm lenses but we don't have any comparable data yet for electronic.

A more likely problem with electronics is technological obsolescence in that the aperture and/or focus mechanisms require specific signaling to function at all.  I can focus and change the aperture of a Leica-R or mechanical Nikkor lens no matter what camera I use it on, not so with a lens requiring electronic aperture control.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 02:11:34 pm by wildlightphoto »
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up