Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any Versions able to Tether 5D III to Mountain Lion (10.8.X) without workaround?  (Read 7483 times)

HighlandSpring

Hi Guys

New poster here, been doing a bit of reading and this seems like the spot for C1 advice - lots of very insightful members here. Thought I'd sign up and see if we could find a solution to this problem a lot of us seem to be having.

I'm running Mountain Lion (10.8.4), 5D III (v 1.1.3 with Magic Lantern), and two versions of Capture One Pro - 6.3.4 & 7.1.2. on a 2012 MPB, 2.3ghz, 16GB RAM.

As far as I'm aware with the research (hopefully I'm mistaken) I simply cant tether my 5D III to Capture One with Mountain Lion 10.8 running. Best I was able to do with version 7 was to get EOS Utilities, set the capture folder in C1 and tether via EOS Utilities. Replacing certain C1 files for EOS ones, nor turning off support for Canon/Nikon/Phase/Leaf didn't work for me. As far as I'm aware the reason we cant tether is that Canon still hasn't released the SDK and it hasn't been incorporated yet. A friend of mine was on a Digi job this Friday and tethering seems to work fine with Lion (10.7) but nothing higher. Is that correct?

Question of the matter - Is it still not possible to tether 5D III running Mountain Lion directly to any version of Capture One?

Please excuse me if I've missed any formalities joining the forum, I'm still reading and if there's anything I need to do please let me know

Thanks

George

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com

Earlier versions of Capture One 7 did not work at all, or did not work well with Canon tethering in 10.7.5 and 10.8.X due to a change Apple made to their OS (see this article about Canon tethering in 10.7.5 and 10.8).

However, those OS related problems were mostly resolved initially with the 7.0.2 update. The "mostly" relates to a lingering issue wherein the camera would not automatically reconnect after the connection was lost unless you restarted the software. This lingering issue was addressed in later updates and is not present in 7.1.3.

The following combination should work great:
  • OSX 10.8.4
  • Capture One 7.1.3 activated as Pro
  • Canon 5DIII with latest official firmware

Most recent combinations should also work but above I have given you the combination which is most current and likely to give you the least problems. Since you indicate you are having problems with 7.1.2 and 10.8.4 and a 5D3 w/ ML 1.1.3 there can only be a handful of causes:
  • you are not activated as pro (go to Capture One > About and see if you are instead activated as Capture One LE or DB which would not tether to a Canon at all)
  • the ML 1.1.3 firmware disables or makes inoperable C1 tethering in contrast to the Canon-official firmware. Try switching back to the official firmware or borrow/beg/steal/rent a 5D3 with up-to-date official firmware.
  • your USB ports (computer or camera) or USB cables are not fully working (unlikely given your indication that EOS Util works correctly, but not impossible as intermittent failures can manifest themselves in strange way vis a vis which software does or does not connect)
. Try it with a different USB port (the one closest to the power supply, if you haven't already tried that one), a shorter cable (preferably the stock cable that Canon itself provides), and unplug ANY other USB device which is connected (unless absolutely required for your setup).
  • some other software is "stealing" the connection; only one software package can control the camera connection, so if e.g. EOS Util (or some other camera related app) is open then C1 will not be able to connect. Test with ALL other applications closed before connecting the camera.

By the way, your post was very well formed and represents a "good" post here - not only did you not miss any formalities you did a great job of outlining the nature of your problem and asking for help in a polite way. I hope you stick around and share both sides (the helping and the getting help as able and as needed).
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 08:22:08 pm by Doug Peterson »

Tony Jay

I read your post but know nothing about C1.
I would, however,  like to second Doug's comments and bid you a welcome to LuLa!

Tony Jay

HighlandSpring

Hi Doug

Thanks very much for taking the time to write your insightful and helpful comment. In short, it worked! I'm tethering pretty much flawlessly.

All the options seem to be working - including 'copy from last' which I missed dearly while using the workaround. Both USB ports can connect to the camera from the computer, and the lingering issue of the camera not registering when re-plugged (and having to restart Capture One) is gone! Firmware on the camera has stayed the same allowing me to keep running Magic Lantern and I simply upgraded from 7.1.2 to 7.1.3. Shot burst and single's for over 100 frames now and still running well. One crash so far but apart from that it's all good.

For future reference/readers:

It seems from my experience, that the minimum you need to get a 5D mk III running smoothly on Capture One 7 while running Mountain Lion (10.8.4) is, at this time:

• OSX 10.8.4
  • Capture One 7.1.3 activated as Pro
  • & a minimum of firmware of 1.1.3 (even if running ML)

I'll write back if there's any more problems with this issue in this thread otherwise assume all is well.

Also, thanks for the kind words Doug and Tony - It seems like a good place to learn, I'll try to stick around and help where I can.

Thanks again

George

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com

Glad to hear. Thanks for following up with the results.
Pages: [1]   Go Up