Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replacing iPF maintenance cart - cleaning ink use?  (Read 1224 times)

keith_cooper

• Northlight Images
Replacing iPF maintenance cart - cleaning ink use?
« on: July 28, 2013, 12:13:23 pm »

I finally had to replace the maintenance cart in our iPF8300 and weighed it, to get an idea of how much ink was in it.

Works out at around one full 330ml cartridge's worth.  Looking at how much ink I've used since getting it (I don't print high volumes of prints, but the printer is left on), I see that the printer has used just under 10% of ink for setup and cleaning. Adding a further guestimate of the setup use, brings this figure down to 6-7% for actual print work.

Very (very) much back of the envelope calculations, since I don't monitor ink usage to any fine degree, but I was wondering if the figures made sense to other users of Canon iPF printers?

A few pics and background info:
http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/printer/canon_maintenance_cartridge.html
bye for now -- Keith
[url=http://www.nor

Bullfrog

Re: Replacing iPF maintenance cart - cleaning ink use?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 01:33:15 pm »

I'm not savvy enough to understand your calc's - are you saying the printer aggregates total amount of ink used in print jobs (over a period of time defined by start date to now) and than you can subtract that from the total amount of ink you estimate to be in the maintenance cartridge to calculate the delta which would represent ink used in maintenance and self-cleaning?

Regardless, what I can say, is I have an ipf6100 - the thing has been sitting dormant for at least 3 months (I go in fits and starts) and I wondered if it was cleaning at all (I leave the printer on all the time).

Today I started printing a bunch more - everything is fine.

All to say - the ink levels in this machine barely budge when not in use - I bought about 4 cartridges in January anticipating they would need replacement soon - and they are still sitting in the packaging.

I cannot complain about Canon's ink usage - accepting I have nothing to compare it to, it seems minimal. 
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 01:39:08 pm by Bullfrog »

keith_cooper

• Northlight Images
Re: Replacing iPF maintenance cart - cleaning ink use?
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 01:59:16 pm »

It is a rather rough calculation...

I know how many complete carts (330 and 700) have been used and their current levels (subject to the poor ink level reporting accuracy of the printer - 20% steps)

Print is not a 'volume' part of our business so I've not really ever made more than fairly broad-brush estimates of costs (if a 10% drop in ink costs made a difference, then it's more telling me that I'm not charging enough ;-)
bye for now -- Keith
[url=http://www.nor
Pages: [1]   Go Up