Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dell 3008 expired; 30" replacement?  (Read 5809 times)

jrp

Dell 3008 expired; 30" replacement?
« on: July 27, 2013, 05:47:32 pm »

My Dell 3008 died, after 5 years of service, presumably because of the recent heat wave.

There are sites that show you how to take it apart and replace the diode that seems to be a known point of failure after 4 years, or the capacitors, etc, but it seems to be a 6-8 hour job involving soldering (although removing the bezel seems to be the trickiest part).  So I think that I'm just going to go for a replacement.

As luck would have it, we seem to be on a range refresh cusp:  

I was reasonably satisfied with the 3008, although I would have preferred less aggressive anti-reflection coating, so should I just go for the Dell U3014, or are some of the newer models worth waiting for?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 10:04:06 am by jrp »

jrp

Re: Dell 3008 expired; 30" replacement?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 08:35:21 am »

Time passeth, but it seems that the new generation of 30" NEC displays will not be here in the UK for months.  This may be because they are still trying to clear out the old stock (which they are selling at a slight discount).

The current version is here
http://www.nec-display-solutions.com/p/uk/gb/products/details/dp/Products/LCD/Current/SV-Reference301/SV-Reference301.xhtml?cat=Colour&realm=products/choice

Has anyone seen the next generation NECs (either in GB-R form or the same as current panel technology)?  Are they worth waiting for? Lloyd C says that they are a bit better. Likewise Ron Martinsen, but they don't seem to be rushing to upgrade, which suggests that the improvements are incremental.

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 10:35:47 am »

After comparing PA242W to his predecessor I'm quite sure it's worth to wait for PA302W. New GBr series have better uniformity. Satin diffuser that I much prefer over matte diffuser in PAxx1 series (the image is cleaner, without sparkling/clouding effect. The brightness range is better - PA242W goes down to 40cm/m^2, while his predecessor only achieved 90cd/m^2, so new 27 and 30" should be more convenient to work in a dark room. It also has slightly larger gamut, and lower power consumption.
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

jrp

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 11:49:17 am »

Thanks.  Hmmm.  Well the Dell is the only 30" GBr available just now, but it seems to have some issues.

AFairley

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 01:52:50 pm »

Thanks.  Hmmm.  Well the Dell is the only 30" GBr available just now, but it seems to have some issues.

Yes, the inability to use screen uniformity control in anything but sRGB with brightness locked at 50 makes the feature useless for photo editing, precisely where it is most needed.  Major fail, if you ask me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up