Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BC Lyve Replacement?  (Read 2985 times)

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
BC Lyve Replacement?
« on: July 26, 2013, 07:25:46 pm »

I've been using BV Lyve for quite some time and quite like it.  However, it's on backorder (in Canada at least) and I have some jobs that need to be printed 'yesterday'. I'm used to the colour and stretchability of Lyve so looking for a close match. Any suggestions - and it has to be available in Canada - and no, I don't want to ship it in from the US.
Mike Guilbault

darlingm

• Westland Printworks
Re: BC Lyve Replacement?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 12:41:58 am »

Check if they have Chromata White in stock?  Never used it, always went with Lyve for the small price difference, although I've assumed (maybe incorrectly) that they're very similar.  For your question, I've looked a bit with other manufacturers, and didn't find any comparables.  Have you tried their new Crystalline canvas?
Mike • Westland Printworks
Fine Art Printing • Amazing Artwork Reproduction • Photography
http://www.westlandprintworks.com • (734) 255-9761

jsiva

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 03:25:13 am »

Have you tried Amplis for Lyve?

Otherwise, give these guy a shot.  So far, I have been quite pleased with various Canvas and Metallic papers I've tried from them.
http://finestraart.com/44x40-ft-roll-inkjet-canvas-matte-finish/

Cheers...

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 12:55:40 am »

Amplis is my usual supplier and they are saying it could be mid-August before more stock arrives.  Haven't tried BC's other products because I've always been satisfied with Lyve and it has the characteristics I'm looking for.  I know it cost more, but Hahnemühle Monet Canvas has the same characteristics 'on paper' but not sure how it compares as far as working with it and stretching. 
Mike Guilbault

Landscapes

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 02:40:39 pm »

I very much like Epson Exhibition Canvas.  I see you've got a running thread asking about the Natural line, which I'm curious about as well, but the Exhibition canvas in my opinion is very lovely, and so easy to stretch since is had almost a bit of a lycra feel in it like clothes that stretch nicely.  There was a thread here a while back about a sagging canvas that showed sag lines in it after it was stretched.  I feel like with the Epson canvas if you pull it tight enough that stretch factor would even out any problems you would have.  Even though I use a Canon printer, I mostly use the Epson papers because they are stocked everywhere and when one supplier runs out, it would be easy for me to find it locally.

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 03:58:53 pm »

That's also why I'm considering the Epson Exhibition Canvas - I can get it right across the street from my studio!  But, I'd really like the Natural version if its available and started the other thread (for the second time) to see if anyone has any feedback about it.  Nothin yet.
Mike Guilbault

Bullfrog

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 07:19:06 am »

I very much like Epson Exhibition Canvas.  I see you've got a running thread asking about the Natural line, which I'm curious about as well, but the Exhibition canvas in my opinion is very lovely, and so easy to stretch since is had almost a bit of a lycra feel in it like clothes that stretch nicely.  There was a thread here a while back about a sagging canvas that showed sag lines in it after it was stretched.  I feel like with the Epson canvas if you pull it tight enough that stretch factor would even out any problems you would have.  Even though I use a Canon printer, I mostly use the Epson papers because they are stocked everywhere and when one supplier runs out, it would be easy for me to find it locally.

I too use Canon printer and reading all the rave reviews on the Epson papers makes me think I should join the pack.

Does Epson provide profiles for your canon printer?  If so, can you point me to the source?  I looked on their Canadian website and on the profile download page, I only see profiles for the Epson printers.

http://www.epson.ca/cgi-bin/ceStore/jsp/Pro/ICCProfilesAll.do?BV_UseBVCookie=yes

mg73

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 01:05:54 pm »

I switched from an epson printer to a canon 8400.  The only downside for me is that I have always used mostly epson papers and Epson does not and probably never will provide any profiles for canon printers.  These two companies are in direct competition with their printers/inks, unlike other paper companies that provide profiles for all printers.  I still use epson exhibition canvas on my 8400 and just accepted that I had to spend the $ to get a profile done.

Bullfrog

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 01:09:02 pm »

Well, that makes total sense.  Thank you.
I don't mind paying for something that is worth while - are there people out there that do this kind of thing and if yes, please send me a PM.
I have a Canon IPF 6100 -   
Thanks

Landscapes

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 01:09:19 pm »

Does Epson provide profiles for your canon printer?  If so, can you point me to the source?  I looked on their Canadian website and on the profile download page, I only see profiles for the Epson printers.

Haha.. no way would Epson provide profiles for a Canon printer!!!  I have heard, and see it with my own eyes, that all RC coated papers like glossy and satin type of papers are all very similar, and hence the colors don't shift much.  In other words, just load up Epsons Ultra Premium PHoto Paper Luster like I do, set the printer to a Canon Satin paper and just select auto color.  The print will be gorgeous.  For my canvas, I did have profiles made, since I wanted a profile after spraying with my timeless coating, and it only costs $25 from inkjetart.com  (hmmm.. not sure if they are still making profiles since they merged with itsupplies)  But the profile I had made for the luster paper I wouldn't say is any better than just using auto.  Some colors are better with the profile, some are better on just auto, but both gave prints that are beautiful.

Bullfrog

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 05:11:30 pm »

If I told you I was recovering from a fugue state, would it change anything.

;)

Thanks for the info KP.

David Taylor

• http://www.sixtyonenorth.com
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2013, 09:36:21 pm »

Has anyone heard any reports on the longevity of the Epson Canvas offerings? I'm looking at trying out some canvas, and I'm interested in the BC Crystalline - but it's only rated to 55 years (no lacquer coating applied). Since we are just trying out canvas, I don't really feel like investing (yet) in the roller/varnish stretcher pliers yet. Thanks!

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2013, 10:24:55 pm »

Epson came out recently with some 'Natural' canvas, so no OBA's.  Not sure if they've been out long enough to be rated, but worth looking into.

I'm still considering a few options and finally found that I can get the Epson Natural canvas, but it's special order so not sure yet how long it'll be.  My other choice was Hahnemuhle Monet.  It is also OBA free and 100% cotton.  I'm trying to get some feedback on how well it stretches though. It's a premium canvas, so don't want to purchase a roll quite yet.  I tried the sample pack, 8.5x11 - but it's not really big enough to try stretching with.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 10:27:22 pm by Mike Guilbault »
Mike Guilbault
Pages: [1]   Go Up