Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Formatt vs Schneider MPTV grads  (Read 1231 times)

torger

Formatt vs Schneider MPTV grads
« on: July 26, 2013, 03:47:28 pm »

Has someone tested the new(?) Formatt glass grads? They are considerably cheaper and easier to come by for us Europeans than the Schneider MPTV.

I'm still using resin grads but I've had one too many reflections and resolution reductions to be happy, I'd like to switch to good quality glass.

(yes I use grads, I'm old-school I know, but I like it)

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Formatt vs Schneider MPTV grads
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 04:03:12 pm »

I have not looked at the Format glass grads, I looked a lot at Format glass ND's most of the first half of 2012 and never found one screw in or sheet that did not have a  magenta cast.  The screw in 105 and 95mm were the worst.

The Lee grads seem to work fine for me, still resin, but very clean and no issues I can find. 

Lee also makes solid ND's 0.3, 0.6 and 0.9 out of glass and they are excellent.  However they are only 4 x 4, not 4 x 6.

Paul Caldwell

Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

torger

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 04:28:51 pm »

Not surprised to hear that, I am a bit suspicous about the quality :-\ . I have formatt resin grads now and some of them have resolution issues, and all have reflection issues of course as they are uncoated.

I've heard a lot of good things about Lee resin grads, but they are resin and uncoated. I don't like to put that in front of my expensive glass lenses... oh well, I've got really paranoid about reflections. With my current grads any little mistake lead to ruining the image with reflections, and even if perfectly shaded bright objects in the frame may cause reflections.

(size is no issue as I'm using Schneider digitar lenses, my largest lens diameter is 67mm...)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 05:50:33 pm by torger »

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 06:16:40 pm »

The trick to the Lee system is to use the wide angle hood, with 1 or 2 filter slots.  This is what I use on all my Schneiders and Rodenstock glass.  The 28mm really won't work with the hood if I have CF on but works fine if I don't. 

The hood takes the 4 x 6 or 4 x 4 filters and they fit directly in front of the lens, no reflections.  so far loss of detail.  This is with all wides, 35SK, 43SK 60SK

You can also use the use the standard 2 filter holder with the wide angle adapter rings. 

Lee's setup is very nice and I have stopped carrying screw in filters most of the time. 

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

torger

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 02:56:36 am »

I always thought schneider glass grads were anti reflection coated, but I just asked them and they are not. Then I don't see any big advantage with them, I guess Lee resin or even my current are as good/bad as it gets concerning reflection so I just need a better hood.

rgs

• Richard Smith Photography
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 10:32:12 pm »

I don't have any experience with their grads, but I have a Formatt 8 stop ND that has a color cast and seems to soften contrast as well. It's front threads are sticky and don't seem to mate well with others. In comparison to my Marumi 3 stop. the Formatt is just not as good physically or optically.
Pages: [1]   Go Up