Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Clichès  (Read 23743 times)

LoisWakeman

Re: Clichès
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2013, 06:45:01 am »

Eric, serious question: don't US keyboards - or British, for that matter - have accents available?
No - but Windows has a handy little tool called Character Map that you can use to choose accented and special characters - I keep it in my start menu for quick access from any application. I don't know if it's still in Windows 8 though.

Rob C

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2013, 09:30:10 am »

No - but Windows has a handy little tool called Character Map that you can use to choose accented and special characters - I keep it in my start menu for quick access from any application. I don't know if it's still in Windows 8 though.

Thank you, Lois, that's an alternative well worth knowing.

What have you been doing these days - keeping the faith or just driftin' on the breezes? It's been so hot, humid and generally unpleasant here this month that I have no energy left at all; takes me all my strength just to tickle the keyboard on and off.

Well, in a few weeks it will be over and another season come along to replace the current. Then, mid-winter, I'll wonder how mad I was to wish summer away.

Cookies, crumbles.

;-)

Rob C

LoisWakeman

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2013, 10:15:38 am »

Hi Rob - hope you find it useful.

I am enjoying nice summer weather intermittently - but too much work at the desk and not nearly enough time outside with my camera! So it goes - but I still have my health and family, and count my blessings, especially after having to attend a funeral for a good friend's son, which sort of puts things into perspective.
Take care,
L

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2013, 01:47:10 pm »

Thanks for that, Lois!

I never knew about the handy little Character Map tool. It works much better (and faster) than my WordPerfect work-around.

Now I can decorate all sorts of things mercilessly, such as my own name:  Éric Mÿŗvåģʼnêš

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2013, 02:00:46 pm »

Éät yöúr hęårt øūt, Windoze slaves!

All I have to do on Mac is to hold a letter a bit longer and I get à la cart menu like the one below, to either mouse-click on the desired version or type its number.

;D

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2013, 06:33:25 pm »

Thäńks Slø, Į never knew that about my mac. Another way to waste time playing.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2013, 07:08:33 pm »

Thanks from me too, Lois. I'd forgotten all about that thing. Got a shortcut on my desktop now.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2013, 03:50:51 am »

Thäńks Slø, Į never knew that about my mac. Another way to waste time playing.

Really? You mean you didn't read my post (#11 on this thread)? I'm deeply hurt and you could have had 24 hours' more knowledge.

Jeremy

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2013, 09:36:22 am »

Sorry, Jeremy, a picture speaks thousand words
Really? You mean you didn't read my post...

Sorry, Jeremy, but a picture speaks thousand words ;D

Dale Villeponteaux

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2013, 05:06:34 am »

I used to use the Alt-codes back in MSDOS days, but I don't keep a list of the codes right by my computer. When I do need them, WordPerfect has a nice table built in that is easy to access, and I can get whatever I need that way when I'm not being too lazy.

Anyway, with the table that Russ provided a link to I can now reproduce every cliché in the book (but never a clichè or a cliché). And I can even translate my last name into the more modern Norwegian spelling: Myrvågnes (although the name dates from before å was introduced to the Norwegian alphabet, so the use of it is somewhat of a Þ ("Thorn") in my side.

Eric M.

I don't understand.  ƿ do you use Þ?
My avatar isn't an accurate portrayal; I have much less hair.

Iluvmycam

« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2013, 02:22:41 pm »

Pretty much everything has been done before. Someone here said war photos are cliché. We don't care...we just keep blasting away!

Rob C

« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2013, 03:48:39 pm »

Pretty much everything has been done before. Someone here said war photos are cliché. We don't care...we just keep blasting away!

And nobody's buying? Cool.

Rob C

wmchauncey

« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2013, 08:54:23 am »

I might submit that just because there are clichés doesn't mean that they cannot tug the emotions a little...

The things you do for yourself die with

Rob C

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2013, 10:09:24 am »

I might submit that just because there are clichés doesn't mean that they cannot tug the emotions a little...

Make you hungry?

;-)

Rob C

WalterEG

« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2013, 04:03:24 pm »

Make you hungry?
;-)
Rob C

Will do you not a scrap of good by way of a banquet unless it is bluye blood coursing through your veuns.

W

Rob C

« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2013, 03:52:45 am »

Will do you not a scrap of good by way of a banquet unless it is bluye blood coursing through your veuns.

W

Foiled again, then: all that courses through mine is a heady mix of aspirin and beta-blocker, along with a milder blend of statin and gut protector.

All in all, Christmas cheer holds little promise. But at least that means I don't have to buy it, proving yet again that some clouds do indeed have linings of silver. Unlike, of course, my stomach. And there I rest my case before it gets too heavy.

;-(

Rob C
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up