Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 5:45am Ferry  (Read 1341 times)

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
5:45am Ferry
« on: July 24, 2013, 06:11:34 pm »

If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

AFairley

Re: 5:45am Ferry
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 07:52:22 pm »

I like it, the colors, the subject, the mirroring of lines.  I would try cropping some off the right to get to more of a 4:3 aspect ratio, but not sure which one I would end up liking better.

francois

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 03:08:03 am »

The blueish tones give a perfect very early morning atmosphere. I tried to crop the right part of the image but wasn't convinced by the results.
Francois

stamper

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 03:56:31 am »

If there had been a lighthouse being reflected then......? Nicely processed but possibly needs a focal point in one of the windows?

degrub

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 06:32:44 am »

Natural tryptich if only the central 3 windows.
Frank

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 07:42:53 am »

Had it not been for the kindness of a newer member, "Plateau Light," aka Robert, I might well have tossed this image into the rubbish bin. Alas, he directed me toward the study of some new processing techniques and while I only applied a few of them to this image, my-my what a difference in tonal range, contrast and luminosity.

I tried multiple crops and this one worked best for me as to balancing out the reflected image and the morning solitude. I too thought perhaps someone leaning against the rail in silhouette, or a distant sailboat might give more impetus to the eye to linger but the more I got into the edit, the more I saw no more need for anything other than an emerging sun which broke the plane allowing a warmth much like the first man who brought fire into the clan's cave, thusly bringing life into an otherwise semi-dark existence. Perhaps a bit melodramatic but there is much personal growth in this image as it represents my own piece of light which is leading toward an understanding of the powerful tools Photoshop has to offer.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 09:46:40 am »

I think you've done it just right, Chris. I wouldn't crop a thing (or add any "human" interest).

One thing I like especially is that, reading from the left, you encounter the three similar windows, which builds up an expectation of "more of the same," but the right-most two windows show something entirely different, which is a nice "teaser." I suspect we are seeing through to the front windows instead of the reflections on the first three windows.

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 12:08:28 pm »

This is a pleasant change from much of your other work.

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 01:31:32 pm »

I think you've done it just right, Chris. I wouldn't crop a thing (or add any "human" interest).

Yes, very nicely seen.
Pages: [1]   Go Up