Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Film Scanner--Vuescan problem  (Read 10121 times)

Dave Gurtcheff

Film Scanner--Vuescan problem
« on: July 24, 2013, 11:14:02 am »

Hi all:
I have a Polaroid 120 Sprintscan film scanner. It is an "orphan"; Polaroid long ago went out of business and does not support it. Fortunately, I long ago purchased the Pro version of Vuescan to run both the film scanner and my Epson V700 flat bed. The film scanner worked beautifully with Vuescan prior to Hurricane Sandy. We were homeless for 6 months with no power, no water, and no heat. The equipment sat idle. We are now home, and lo and behold!! the film scanner no longer functions. Vuescan says there is no scanner connected. I downloaded the latest version of Vuescan, but that did not fix the problem. In Device Manager in Windows 7 64 bit, It says "This Device cannot start (Code 10)"
It also says :
 Driver Provider: Hamrick Software
Date: 8/21/2006
Version 1.0.0.4

In the Details tab it says:

Driver Details:
C:\windows\system32\drivers\ksthunk.sys
C:\windows\system32\drivers\scsiscan.sys

The film scanner runs on either SCSI or Firewire. I am using Firewire.
I have some important 120 B&W negatives I must scan...I need help!
I did use my V700 and scanned several, but the quality is not as good as the Sprintscan. Top quality is important, as I want to make big prints.
I did send a request to Hamrick Software, but I am sure Ed is taking care of the entire world.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Dave Gurtcheff
Beach Haven, NJ

Johnny_Johnson

Re: Film Scanner--Vuescan problem
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 11:42:31 am »

Hi Dave, with my Polaroid SS4000 with a SCSI connection I have to first turn on the scanner and let it completely initialize before booting the computer. Might your setup require the same procedure?

Later,
Johnny 

Jeffery Salter

• Loving life one frame at a time.
    • Jeffery Salter
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 11:46:10 am »

Hi Dave,

I have the Polariod sprintscan 120 as well.   When mine acts a bit strange, I change the ID number.  In the back of the scanner is a click tab to do this. And do several restarts connected to computer and also w/o being connected. It's a bit erratic....  I'm currently using Silverfast version 6.6 as the scanning software. (This version of silverfast only works with 10.6.3 Mac OX)

Regards and good luck,
Jeffery
Warmest regards,
Jeffery Salter
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Jeffery Salter
Miami, Fl. U.S.A.
photos:  www.jefferysalter.com
Blog: http://blog.jefferysalter.com/
Instagram: @jefferysalter

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 11:49:34 am »

Johnny and Jeffery, thanks. I will try both your suggestions.
Dave

jaapb

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 10:37:26 am »

Hi Dave,

Quite an ordeal you went through, hope you are getting life back on track.
As for your scanner problem, since you have your Sprintscan connected over firewire try changing your firewire driver. Although I haven't used Win 7 for a while, I remember Code 10 usually refers to driver failure. AFAIK there's three 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller drivers bundled in windows 7, change the driver to the one that has (Legacy) at the end of the name ( 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy) ).
Hope this helps,

Jaap

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 10:54:28 am »

Hi Jaap: where would I find the drivers? And how to install?
Thanks
Dave
Hi Dave,

Quite an ordeal you went through, hope you are getting life back on track.
As for your scanner problem, since you have your Sprintscan connected over firewire try changing your firewire driver. Although I haven't used Win 7 for a while, I remember Code 10 usually refers to driver failure. AFAIK there's three 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller drivers bundled in windows 7, change the driver to the one that has (Legacy) at the end of the name ( 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy) ).
Hope this helps,

Jaap

jaapb

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 11:15:56 am »

where would I find the drivers? And how to install?
Dave,

Not sitting in front of Win7 so this is from memory:
Right click on the firewire host controller entry in the device manager and choose Update Driver Software…
Browse My Computer for driver software pick from a list of device drivers on My Computer
Select 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy) and then Next
Good luck

Jaap

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 03:13:16 pm »

Dave,

Not sitting in front of Win7 so this is from memory:
Right click on the firewire host controller entry in the device manager and choose Update Driver Software…
Browse My Computer for driver software pick from a list of device drivers on My Computer
Select 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy) and then Next
Good luck

Jaap

Thanks Jaap. I was able to find the 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy), but the Vuescan software still cannot find the scanner. I have seen Firewire to USB converters. Would that help me?
Thanks again
Dave

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 06:29:17 pm »

Hi,

Sorry to hear about what Sandy made to your life!

Regarding Vuescan, I would strongly suggest you contact Ed Hamrick and ask for advice. I worked with Ed when he developed Vuescan for the Minolta Dimage Scan Multi Pro, very nice guy.

Best regards
Erik

Hi all:
I have a Polaroid 120 Sprintscan film scanner. It is an "orphan"; Polaroid long ago went out of business and does not support it. Fortunately, I long ago purchased the Pro version of Vuescan to run both the film scanner and my Epson V700 flat bed. The film scanner worked beautifully with Vuescan prior to Hurricane Sandy. We were homeless for 6 months with no power, no water, and no heat. The equipment sat idle. We are now home, and lo and behold!! the film scanner no longer functions. Vuescan says there is no scanner connected. I downloaded the latest version of Vuescan, but that did not fix the problem. In Device Manager in Windows 7 64 bit, It says "This Device cannot start (Code 10)"
It also says :
 Driver Provider: Hamrick Software
Date: 8/21/2006
Version 1.0.0.4

In the Details tab it says:

Driver Details:
C:\windows\system32\drivers\ksthunk.sys
C:\windows\system32\drivers\scsiscan.sys

The film scanner runs on either SCSI or Firewire. I am using Firewire.
I have some important 120 B&W negatives I must scan...I need help!
I did use my V700 and scanned several, but the quality is not as good as the Sprintscan. Top quality is important, as I want to make big prints.
I did send a request to Hamrick Software, but I am sure Ed is taking care of the entire world.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Dave Gurtcheff
Beach Haven, NJ
Erik Kaffehr

jaapb

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2013, 04:34:23 am »

I have seen Firewire to USB converters. Would that help me?

Dave,

Frankly I don't know, doesn't sound like a viable solution to me.

Regarding Vuescan, I would strongly suggest you contact Ed Hamrick and ask for advice. I worked with Ed when he developed Vuescan for the Minolta Dimage Scan Multi Pro, very nice guy.

I agree with Erik, Ed usually is very responsive and helpfull.

Meanwhile, since the legacy driver doesn’t get you going, a few other things to consider.
If you are comfortable opening your PC case can you establish:
1. If your firewire controller is a card is seated in one of the logicboard slots inside your PC, the firewire connector is on the rear side of the card.
2. Or is your firewire controller integrated in the logicboard (firewire connector on the PC case is directly connected to the logicboard via a small cable).

In case 1 try reseating the card in another vacant slot of the logicboard and reconnect the scanner.
In case 2 consider to buy and install a firewire controller card as in case 1 bypassing your built-in firewire controller and connect your scanner to the new controller.

These are the options I can think of at this moment.

Take care,

Jaap

Pages: [1]   Go Up