Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon ipf 6100 problem  (Read 5651 times)

Peter Bowater

Canon ipf 6100 problem
« on: July 23, 2013, 12:18:28 pm »

We've had a Canon ipf 6100 printer for about four years and, until recently, it has been faultless.  A few weeks ago we started to get an error message that the Right Hand printhead needed cleaning.  We ran the cleaning programmes probably more often than was justified without success as the message kept coming up.

When we bypassed the error message by pressing Online the only problem that we had is that deep blues print as cyan.  Everything else is fine.  Eventually we bought a new print head but did not instal it because the error message went away and so did the colour problem.

A few days ago the colour problem came back along with an instruction to replace the maintenance cartridge, which we did.  As we still had the error message we also replaced the Right Hand printhead.

Unfortunately, the problem has not gone away and the error message tells us that the print head needs cleaning, which can't be taken seriously, and the deep blue still prints as cyan.  And we are being told that the new maintenance cartridge has 60 percent capacity  -  also most unlikely.

We are tempted to replace the blue ink cartridge which is well down as perhaps that has dodgy contacts or something.  But again, probably just tossing good money after bad.  The nozzle check shows that the Blue is patchy which it has remained through umpteen expensive cleaning cycles.  Perhaps there's a faulty contact ?

Has anyone any experience of this sort of problem ? 

I.T. Supplies

Re: Canon ipf 6100 problem
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 11:16:58 am »

I would recommend doing a print with the exact color code for the Blue ink thru your photo program in a small 1x1 square.  This may help out with testing if there are any cloggs in the print head or if it's not reading it properly, can be defective chip on the cartridge even after using it for sometime.

If you still get the error, best alternative is to check with Canon's technical dept to see if there are any other suggestions to fix this error.

Canon's number is 800-423-2366

Hope this helps.

Atlex.com

Bullfrog

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 01:41:06 pm »

I have a 6100 for the same period (4 years)

I would recommend replacing the blue ink cartridge. Like you, I have had absolutely no problems with this printer - admitting I use it lightly and even under use it at times.  Then, about 4 months ago after a period of a few weeks where it was printing fine,  I had a problem with the black ink cartridge making vertical lines - I ran the cleaning program - sucked up a ton of ink and threw away a ton of paper and the problem didn't correct itself.  Until I bought a new ink cartridge.  The black ink cartridge was down in its ink level, and had been in the printer at least a few months or more and while I don't know - I presume it degraded to the point too much ink was being spit out through the nozzles (my non-technical view)

Regardless, once I replaced it - it worked and touch wood - still does.

As far as maintenance cartridge, it only recognizes levels by 20% - so while you THINK you have 80% left - the actual level is slowly degrading but until it hits 60% it won't register.  
I replaced my maintenance cartridge as well .

I didn't do the print head and I wasn't getting the error message - so my problem is not 100% the same, but I think since a cartridge is $100 - you might as well try it.

Canon technical support (in Canada anyway) is useless - they have replaced their technical persons who used to answer inquiries with customer service help desk type people who's only advice is to book an appointment with a rep and take a deposit.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 02:03:32 pm by Bullfrog »

Peter Bowater

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 05:03:32 am »

Thanks to Atlex and Bullfrog for your replies.

We have been printing 'purge prints' of the problem colour  -  Blue   -  and they are not true to colour but not as far off as the nozzle check pattern suggests they should be.

This problem has been developing for a while and we think it is partly our fault because we have not been using the printer enough (three house moves in two years hasn't helped).  When the problem started the nozzle pattern was only slightly off but we were getting the 'Clean RH Printhead' error message.  As we don't use that colour a great deal we pressed on and for a while the error message went away.  Then it came back with a 'Replace Maintenance Cartridge' message, and we did that.  And we bought a new print head which we installed a week or so ago.  We have also changed the Blue ink cartridge and, on the advice of a local supplier, we have made some attempt to clean the various contacts.  None of this has made any difference.

Maintenance for us is a problem as we live in the sticks in France a long way from the nearest city big enough to support a competent technician.  And with a four year old printer it might work out cheaper to buy a replacement. Canon, in the UK at least, don't want to discuss problems with a printer of this age and send us to Oce who apparently made them then and have some quite ambitious ideas about telephone helpline costs.  It's a pity because the problem makes surprisingly little difference to most of our output. 

In case it is of interest we have posted the latest nozzle check on our at the moment redundant blog:  http://bowaterphoto.blogspot.fr/

Bullfrog

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 06:46:52 am »

Thanks for the update - it makes me think that when my print head starts to go or the machine tells me to replace it - I will cut my losses.  Here in Canada two print heads are $1600 plus tax - brings you close to $1800 -spending over 50% of replacement cost on a printer is hard to justify.  Good luck

Landscapes

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 02:34:18 pm »

Bullfrog, don't even bother with Canada.  BH has the printheads for US$439.   Sure the exchange rate is a bit, and shipping too, but these things are small and light so it won't be much.  You will be so much further ahead.  Don't mess around with getting it locally.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/510317-REG/Canon_2251B003AB_PF_03_Print_Head_ONLY.html

Bullfrog

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 03:16:15 pm »

Bullfrog, don't even bother with Canada.  BH has the printheads for US$439.   Sure the exchange rate is a bit, and shipping too, but these things are small and light so it won't be much.  You will be so much further ahead.  Don't mess around with getting it locally.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/510317-REG/Canon_2251B003AB_PF_03_Print_Head_ONLY.html

Good point.  Last time I heard the Canadian dollar was at .94 to US - so the cost is actually less -
I bookmarked this - thanks.

Bullfrog

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 03:20:50 pm »

This problem has been developing for a while and we think it is partly our fault because we have not been using the printer enough (three house moves in two years hasn't helped).

Did you read this thread?

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=80506.msg651176#new

I wonder if moving the printer so many times is a good thing and how much was it tilted ?

Peter Bowater

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 03:30:43 am »

Thanks Bullfrog.  Yes we are sure that the moving was not beneficial for the printer although we did move it ourselves and don't reckon it was tilted anything like as much as 20 degrees.  However, it then lived in various temporary accommodation for a few months and got little use as there was so much else to do first.  We're not blaming the printer as we've had getting on for four years of impeccable performance from it.
Incidentally, we paid 325 Euros + tax for the printhead.  Your market sounds expensive.

Bullfrog

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 07:14:15 am »

Canada is ridiculous - but as KP pointed out - US suppliers are accessible.  Whether I have to pay duty on the print head shipped from the US is a question unanswered - I know cameras and lenses are duty free and I did in fact purchase a camera body a few years ago from the US  - however not EVERYTHING is cheaper (I've been looking). 

The printer new was ~ $3000 Canadian- and that was on sale. 

Anyway, my printer is also 4 years old, and at present, no issues . 
Regards
Pages: [1]   Go Up