Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Fuji X-series firmware available  (Read 8699 times)

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
New Fuji X-series firmware available
« on: July 23, 2013, 09:17:24 am »

New firmware for the bodies and most lenses, faster focus and focus peaking.

http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/

Another nice upgrade from Fujifilm. The Fuji Canada group is saying that the Auto ISO feature will be improved in the next release with a settable minimum shutter speed.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

Kyle Kielinski

Re: New Fuji X-series firmware available
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 10:12:07 am »

It's a noticeably good update, AF wise, on the X-E1.  I've never had the opportunity to use focus peaking before and, right away, I like it.

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 11:31:43 am »

The new firmware did make a big change, better lock in low light. Nice. I like that the focus peaking still works in magnified view. Cool.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 02:52:52 pm »

I need some help. I tried upgrading the firmware for the X-Pro1 body, 35mm lens, and 14mm lens. Right now the firmware is:
BODY: 2.03
35mm lens: 2.01
14mm lens: 3.0

When I try to upgrade the body and 35mm lens, the camera cancels the firmware upgrade, and says to turn off the camera. It's probably me, but I found the upgrade instructions a bit confusing as to lens/body upgrades, which should be done first, etc. I down loaded to PC, then dragged and dropped the files onto a SD memory card. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance
Dave in NJ

Kyle Kielinski

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 03:33:18 pm »

I upgraded the body first and then lenses (14mm + 18-55mm).  I read on the Fujix forum that it might not work properly if you update the lenses first.  I put all the firmware updates on the same card at the same time - the camera had no problem discerning them from one another.

I'm on a Mac and I did have to restore the original filenames since I hadn't removed the previous firmware update files from my "Downloads" folder.  The filenames haven't changed so the OS had added an (1) to the end to identify it as a duplicate.  I haven't used a PC in years so maybe it's a similar problem?  Maybe you're unintentionally installing old versions?

Paul Sumi

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 03:35:21 pm »

I need some help. I tried upgrading the firmware for the X-Pro1 body, 35mm lens, and 14mm lens. Right now the firmware is:
BODY: 2.03
35mm lens: 2.01
14mm lens: 3.0

When I try to upgrade the body and 35mm lens, the camera cancels the firmware upgrade, and says to turn off the camera.

Dave, I agree the instructions are confusing.  Not sure why the update didn't work.  But I notice that the firmware instructions say that the camera upgrade is for version 2.05 to 3.0.  You're on 2.03.  I don't know how you do this, but looks like you first need to upgrade to version 2.05?

Also, I found a list of error messages:

http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/firmware/x/xpro1/error.html

I've attached a screen cap of the error message I think you got.

One other thought - the instructions said to update the body firmware WITHOUT a lens attached, which I did.  Perhaps this makes a difference?

Hope this helps.

Paul

« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 03:39:03 pm by Paul Sumi »

W.T. Jones

• W.T. Jones LLC
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 03:40:45 pm »

Dave, You do indeed drag the whole file into a formatted card. insure you have afresh fully charged battery or you will get that message.

One thing you have to be aware of is that all updates have the same name. For example the the last time you downloaded a file  say it was 2.06 it might have been called FPupdate.dat

Well low & behold the new 3.0 file is going to have the same file name. In windows if you drag & drop it will not move it but simply copy it to the SD card. So when you download the new file it will see the old FPUPDATE.dat in the downloads folder and name the new file FPUDATE(1).dat or something similar. The camera will not recognize the file because of the (1). (This happens on Macs too when you drag it to the desk top and do not clear it when you are done). If this is what is happening, which I suspect, clear the downloads folder to the recycle bin and download teh file again or simply remove the (1) or what ever gets put there.

Edit: Paul Sumi brings up a good point, I saw that too but forgot about it as I already had 2.05 loaded and did not pay much attention to it.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 03:43:53 pm by W.T. Jones »
Warren

David S

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 03:20:10 pm »

I feel silly asking but how does one get the peak focusing to turn on?

Thanks,

Dave S

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 03:22:37 pm »

Set to manual focus and it should come on by default. There is also a menu item on the setup. It will also come on with the 3x/10x zoom while manual focusing.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

David S

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 03:36:51 pm »

Got it!

Thanks,

Dave S

W.T. Jones

• W.T. Jones LLC
Focus peaking tip.
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 05:32:11 am »

Another trick with the focus peaking. When in manual mode you can turn it off & on simply by pressing & holding the command dial in for a second or so.

Warren

marcmccalmont

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2013, 11:47:50 pm »

Has anyone been able to download version 2.0 for the X-E1 ?
Marc
Marc McCalmont

Manoli

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2013, 03:35:05 am »

marcmccalmont

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2013, 04:10:41 am »

Yes, without a problem
www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/firmware/x/xe1/download.html
was it a 36.5 mb file like 1.06? I downloaded it but the camera does not recognize v 2.0?
Marc McCalmont

marcmccalmont

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2013, 04:31:05 am »

I had to go to the USA site to get it the Global site although listed as 2.0 was 1.06
Marc McCalmont

Manoli

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2013, 04:59:11 am »

I had to go to the USA site to get it the Global site although listed as 2.0 was 1.06

Marc,
You may have a problem with your browser. I remember, at some point, clearing out the cache - just not sure when Tha above link does work though, at least on my machine, and the title page is X-E1 Camera Body Firmware Update Ver.2.00. The file is FWUP0001.DAT , 38.3 MB (on my mac).

Hope this works for you. The upgrade, at least until now, hasn't shown any bugs and the focus peaking and improved speed of autofocus are impressive. Hope these aren't famous last words. Despite the criticism of Fuji re the X-Pro 1 update, I think they deserve credit for getting the corrected firmware out so quickly, less than 36 hours - has to rank amongst the fastest updates I have ever seen.

All best
Manoli

marcmccalmont

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2013, 05:03:17 am »

Marc,
You may have a problem with your browser. I remember, at some point, clearing out the cache - just not sure when Tha above link does work though, at least on my machine, and the title page is X-E1 Camera Body Firmware Update Ver.2.00. The file is FWUP0001.DAT , 38.3 MB (on my mac).

Hope this works for you. The upgrade, at least until now, hasn't shown any bugs and the focus peaking and improved speed of autofocus are impressive. Hope these aren't famous last words. Despite the criticism of Fuji re the X-Pro 1 update, I think they deserve credit for getting the corrected firmware out so quickly, less than 36 hours - has to rank amongst the fastest updates I have ever seen.

All best
Manoli

Yes and thanks, to get it working I had to empty my downloads folder and then proceed... Marc
BTW I chose the X-E1 as a "cockpit camera" for its small size, larger sensor, excellent "Normal" zoom and high IQ, knowing that the autofocus was slow. I am pleased that with just a firmware upgrade the autofocus limitation has been solved!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 05:08:19 am by marcmccalmont »
Marc McCalmont
Pages: [1]   Go Up