Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuji XF 14mm lens (?problem)  (Read 6221 times)

Gerry Walden

• My Home Page
Fuji XF 14mm lens (?problem)
« on: July 22, 2013, 10:21:53 am »

I was on a trip to Norway and shot a number of landscapes/seascapes with the 14mm lens on the X-pro1 body. The images were of large rocky islands against the late evening skyline as in this image http://bit.ly/1bFGuAd. In this and all the similar images there is a thin white line where the land mass meets the sky. Has anyone else had a similar problem? Has anyone any idea what has caused it? It is definitely in the raw file, which I have tried to process in LR, C1P7, Aperture and even Fujifilms own raw processing software. A the moment 3 raw files are with Fuji for them to examine.

Thanks!

Gerry
Gerry Walden
www.gwpics.com

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Fuji XF 14mm lens (?problem)
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 06:18:54 pm »

It looks like some form of haloing common with dark against light background.  Does it show up on the raw files before sharpening?  Also did it only show up with the 14mm? 

I have not use the X-pro1 but sure like some of it's features. 

Also might try downloading Capture One pro and processing the files with it.  You can get it for a a 60 day demo full featured.  i have heard that Capture One does a nice job on the X-pro files.  Also did Silkypix have this issue?

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Gerry Walden

• My Home Page
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 01:09:44 am »

Paul

Thanks for your thoughts. To answer them, yes it is on the raw files, and yes it is there before sharpening. It is only the 14mm that is a problem.

I have C1 and it is there in C1, which is a great program. As i said in my query I have tried processing the raw files in a variety of software including C1 and Fuji raw processing software (which is a light version of Silkypix) and nothing gets rid of it.

Thanks again!

Gerry
Gerry Walden
www.gwpics.com

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 04:37:05 am »

Nothing concrete to add, Gerry, but it reminds me of when the D200 came out - my first digi body - and the 'small' matter of banding raised its head. Seemed to be the case that it was only happening on some bodies, and not across the board, but tough if you were unlucky.

Perhaps you have been unfortunate, but let's hope there's an easy, downloadable fix! Maybe you should have kept that M6... ? ;-)

Best wishes -

Rob C

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 09:53:24 am »

Please keep us posted as to what Fuji says.  I have used their tech support in the past and found them very positive.  I am looking at this same solution on the Xe-1, either the Fuji 14mm or the new Zeiss. 

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 09:57:35 am »

Well that is very strange, does it happen if you shoot another horizon without the water? I have the 14mm and I have never seen anything like that, I shoot on the coast a lot. I will be interested to hear what Fuji has to say about it.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 09:59:15 am »

I wanted to bump this back up.  Gerry, did you get a satisfactory answer from Fuji?   I am looking at the 14mm Fuji or the 12mm Zeiss.  I have only read a few sponsored reviews on the Zeiss, none of them very informative. 

Thanks
Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 12:16:45 pm »

Paul,

Sean Reid has said he will be reviewing the Zeiss lenses in the near future, his site is a paid site. However there have been some comparisons that I have seen on the web that seem to give an idea that the Zeiss 12mm is a bit softer in the corners than the 14mm. One thing is to rent them from Lensrentals and compare them one weekend. I have the 14mm and it is an outstanding lens, I have had no issues with it, and until this thread I have never seen any issues with it. A couple of comparisons that I have seen are here:
http://admiringlight.com/blog/zeiss-touit-12mm-f2-8-vs-fujinon-14mm-f2-8-r/
http://admiringlight.com/blog/review-fujifilm-fujinon-xf-14mm-f2-8-r/
http://admiringlight.com/blog/review-zeiss-touit-12mm-f2-8-distagon-fuji-x-mount/

And
http://sgoldswoblog.com/2013/07/08/x-pro1-and-zeiss-touit-12mm/
http://sgoldswoblog.com/2013/06/12/just-touit-zeiss-touit-12mm/

I have thought about the Zeiss, since I really like the Zeiss on my Canon gear, but I am thinking I will stick with the 14mm Fuji for now... but that may change, I may rent the 12mm and try it.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 09:09:02 pm »

Good point on the rentals.  I did not think to check with them.

Paul Caldwell

Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2013, 06:55:54 pm »

For the OP...

Forgive me for asking the obvious, but this is a b&w... does it show up in the colour raw file?
Pages: [1]   Go Up