Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Migration from PC to iMac  (Read 8085 times)

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: Migration from PC to iMac
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2013, 09:29:48 am »

Barry, be careful not to over think this. Most of what you need to do with Lightroom is the same whenever you're moving from one brand of computer to another. Sensible steps, one at a time.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2013, 09:53:17 am »

Thanks for the reply's to everyone (whether tongue in cheek). It wasn't just a case of Adobe not supporting Vista in LR5. My system was becoming so antiquated that my hobby was suffering. This was just the straw to open the wallet!

Yes, an up-to-date computer makes a photographer's life a lot easier! If you really want the Mac interface, then go for it. Otherwise, consider a new Windows 7 PC. There are plenty of people here who can help you select a blazingly fast system that will cost a lot less than the equivalent Mac.

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2013, 10:16:45 pm »

I like a bit of tongue in cheek humour from time to time like anyone else - but if you go back and count the number of posts that address the OP's question, you might start to understand why I (and others I know) have drifted away from LL forums as of late.

From time to time there are some excellent posts on LL forums, some excellent photography,some excellent questions posed and some excellent advice given. But really, the poor guy is just trying to get started on a new system and has some honest questions. For those of you generating "slush", try to put his needs ahead of your own need to grand stand.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

CatOne

• http://blloyd.smugmug.com
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2013, 11:36:47 pm »

Probably my ignorance of Mac "norms" then.  I had to hold down a key and click to get the equivalent of a right click in "PC."   How does one right-click on the "one button" Mac mouse - I love learning new stuff.  Oh, and BTW I've been a PC guy since there was such a thing and have never had to clean a mouse wheel.   ;D

Rand

You go to the mouse system preference and configure the right button to act as a right click.  And then it's 100% reliable; I never accidentally left clicked.

Face it: Your advice sucks.  You don't even know what you're talking about, and your advice is both unhelpful AND uninformed.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2013, 04:04:44 am »

Face it: Your advice sucks.  You don't even know what you're talking about, and your advice is both unhelpful AND uninformed.
Actually Rand's advice back at reply #2 was helpful, informed and probably was all the OP needed to know.
Got anything more helpful to add ?

Rand47

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2013, 08:25:29 am »

You go to the mouse system preference and configure the right button to act as a right click.  And then it's 100% reliable; I never accidentally left clicked.

Interesting, but the mouse my friend has didn't have any left or right.  The whole front of the mouse clicked straight down.  I'm assuming from you reply that Apple does have multi-button mice?  If so, do they come standard or are they optional?  

As for my advice, it may have sucked in your view of things, but it was good enough to get my friend up and running on his new iMac with his catalog intact, LR5 installed and running, etc.  Admittedly, we were pretty much the blind leading the blind, which is why the book I recommended was very helpful in the migration.  

Apologies to the OP for the digression.

Rand
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 08:30:45 am by Rand47 »
Rand Scott Adams

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2013, 08:38:12 am »

Since several years, all Apple mouses have one unique button (the mouse goes down like one unique block), but the mouse it is able to detect which finger is pushing the mouse down, so it detects a right click or a left click.

The idea was people coming from PCs would be able to use the mouse as usual (just enabling this behavior in the preferences of OS X), or all time Mac users could still use their mouse like always...

Until this last Magic Mouse, the one tha it is also a touchpad, I have never been a fan of Apple mouses, for me they were always the worst anatomically mouse design in the market... But I have to confess that the touch features of this last mouse make me go more quick in some tasks... I don't like also their keyboards, they are way better than 99% of the market, but I brought a mechanical keyboard... Much better writing experience...

francois

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2013, 08:57:33 am »

Since several years, all Apple mouses have one unique button (the mouse goes down like one unique block), but the mouse it is able to detect which finger is pushing the mouse down, so it detects a right click or a left click.

That was also the case with the Magic Mouse's predecessor, the Mighty Mouse (still sold).
Francois

Rand47

« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2013, 09:21:51 am »

The idea was people coming from PCs would be able to use the mouse as usual (just enabling this behavior in the preferences of OS X), or all time Mac users could still use their mouse like always...

Until this last Magic Mouse, the one tha it is also a touchpad, I have never been a fan of Apple mouses, for me they were always the worst anatomically mouse design in the market... But I have to confess that the touch features of this last mouse make me go more quick in some tasks... I don't like also their keyboards, they are way better than 99% of the market, but I brought a mechanical keyboard... Much better writing experience...

Thanks for the info ... 

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2013, 12:14:23 pm »

... As for my advice, it may have sucked in your view of things...

A case of mistaken identity? Seems he had in mind the "advice" (reply) #1 and you got caught in the crossfire?

Rand47

« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2013, 05:07:25 pm »

A case of mistaken identity? Seems he had in mind the "advice" (reply) #1 and you got caught in the crossfire?

No worries...  I don't offend easily, in any event.  Doesn't really matter.  What matters is that the OP has been helped in some way, even if inadvertently.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up