Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where are Photoshop CC Installation Files?  (Read 40449 times)

David Luery

Where are Photoshop CC Installation Files?
« on: July 20, 2013, 05:41:17 am »

I took the plunge and subscribed to Photoshop CC for the next year, taking advantage of the $9.99 (plus tax) per month offer.  Creative Cloud (I guess it used to be called the Adobe Application Manager) handled the installation, and all appears to have gone smoothly. 

Now I have what may be a very stupid question, namely, where on my local computer are the installation files (which I assume would be either an .exe or an .msi)?  And, related to that, if I purchase a new computer in the next year, how would I move CC to the new computer?

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,

David

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
Re: Where are Photoshop CC Installation Files?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 11:13:25 am »

...where on my local computer are the installation files (which I assume would be either an .exe or an .msi)?

You don't say what platform you're on, but here's where the files are on Win 7 x64:

Jim

« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 11:17:26 am by Jim Kasson »

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 11:28:43 am »

And, related to that, if I purchase a new computer in the next year, how would I move CC to the new computer?

Don't you just download the application manager and install it again ? You can have it on up to 2? computers, and there's some kind of deactivation process.

David Luery

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 11:30:54 am »

Hi Jim,

I am on Win 7 64-bit.  But what I am looking for are the installation files, such as I have for CS6, i.e., Photoshop_13_LS16.7z, etc.  Now I suppose that under the subscription model Adobe doesn't download to users installation files anymore, but I haven't seen that addressed anywhere.

Thanks,

David

David Luery

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 11:34:19 am »

John,

You may be right, but I haven't seen this addressed or discussed any place.

Which reminds me that I can't find a ReadMe file for Photoshop CC.

Best,

David

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 11:41:14 am »

John,

You may be right, but I haven't seen this addressed or discussed any place.

Look here.

Here's an excerpt:

Jim

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 11:43:05 am »

Hi Jim,

I am on Win 7 64-bit.  But what I am looking for are the installation files, such as I have for CS6, i.e., Photoshop_13_LS16.7z, etc.  Now I suppose that under the subscription model Adobe doesn't download to users installation files anymore, but I haven't seen that addressed anywhere.

It looks like the CC installer cleans up after itself. I never liked the way the Lr installer left installation files around.

Jim

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 12:15:27 pm »

Thanks Jim. I wonder how you deactivate one of those first two computers if it is unavailable stolen or destroyed? Call their support number and hang on the line for hours line listening to some Abba cover band before finally having to confirm the spelling of your name and disclose your xxxx size and other vital security data to a series of robots with increasingly-impenetrable Indian accents? That's probably in the small print.

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2013, 12:30:46 pm »

Thanks Jim. I wonder how you deactivate one of those first two computers if it is unavailable stolen or destroyed? Call their support number and hang on the line for hours line listening to some Abba cover band before finally having to confirm the spelling of your name and disclose your xxxx size and other vital security data to a series of robots with increasingly-impenetrable Indian accents? That's probably in the small print.

Point well taken, but it's the same with CSx, isn't it?

Jim

Rick Popham

• http://
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2013, 12:38:51 pm »

John,

If I'm not mistaken, the CC applications are managed by logging into your Adobe account from any computer.  So if someone steals your laptop, you should be able to log in on another computer and disable the CC applications on that computer.  Similarly, if you've traveled somewhere without your computer, you should be able to log in to your account, download and install the app(s) you need, deactivate one of your other installations and activate the new one.

Though I really dislike the subscription model, I have to admit that the implementation is pretty flexible.

Edit:  I just read through the clip from Adobe that Jim posted (I wasn't signed in at the time so I didn't see the attachment).  The clip seems to indicate that you have to sign out from the computer on which the apps are installed.  That's contrary to how I understand it, so confusion reigns again...
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 12:46:15 pm by Rick Popham »

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2013, 12:43:48 pm »

If I'm not mistaken, the CC applications are managed by logging into your Adobe account from any computer.  So if someone steals your laptop, you should be able to log in on another computer and disable the CC applications on that computer.  Similarly, if you've traveled somewhere without your computer, you should be able to log in to your account, download and install the app(s) you need, deactivate one of your other installations and activate the new one.

One would expect that's the case, Rick, but it's not what Adobe's documents say - hence my facetious response.

John

Rick Popham

• http://
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2013, 12:49:22 pm »

I just saw that clip from Adobe that Jim attached, having just signed in to reply to your post.  Adobe keeps complaining about all the disinformation out there concerning the "Cloud", but they're responsible for a lot of it.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2013, 12:53:23 pm »

Thanks Jim. I wonder how you deactivate one of those first two computers if it is unavailable stolen or destroyed?

Perhaps that's the benefit of the CC subscription. When you stop paying, their/that version of the software will stop working ;)
Of course only if you have a monthly subscription.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Vladimirovich

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2013, 01:06:27 pm »

Now I have what may be a very stupid question, namely, where on my local computer are the installation files (which I assume would be either an .exe or an .msi)? 

if you do not want to bother yourse w/ "cloud installation" (which actually downloads everything anyways) and keep distributive handy for places w/ low bandwidth follow what Adobe's own employees say (on record)

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/981369 -> http://prodesigntools.com/adobe-cc-direct-download-links.html

you can download offline installation files and then go online just for activation, etc.

David Luery

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2013, 02:13:06 pm »

Vladimirovich, thanks.  That is what I was looking for.

Best,

David
Pages: [1]   Go Up