Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Antartica trip - the what's new page encouragement to buy  (Read 8164 times)

Dave Millier

• Whispering Cat Photography
Antartica trip - the what's new page encouragement to buy
« on: July 19, 2013, 04:47:03 pm »

I had to laugh at the almost beseeching tone of the what's new page article today. 

The trip sounds marvelous -until you check the price. As much as I'd like to go, the price for two works out at about a year's salary for me.  I would have thought that at that kind of pricing any decision would be a carefully considered and mulled over once in a lifetime thing, not something in response to a "go on, you know you want to" urging.

Cheered me up anyway.
My website and photo galleries: http://w

michael

Re: Antartica trip - the what's new page encouragement to buy
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 07:45:48 pm »

Lot's of different folks in the world, with different needs and different financial abilities.

It's these workshops and our videos that keep us afloat. Sometimes a strong advertising push is needed.

Michael

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 09:28:32 pm »

I thought it sounded like a wonderful trip, and fairly priced considering what you're getting. I did wonder why there's no option to ship photo gear ahead by sea. Maybe the logistics would too complicated?

Jim

Dave Millier

• Whispering Cat Photography
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 03:54:39 am »

Not objecting to the price, it's whatever it needs to be, nor the need to advertise. 

The tone just struck me as funny, like a barrow boy yelling "Roll, up, roll up, bananas four for a pound"...except it's not bananas, "Roll up, roll up, Rolexes 2 for 30 grand..."

Just an amusing picture that popped into my head!

Anyway, I'm sure they'll be fantastic trips and I look forward to seeing the wonderful shots posted later.

My website and photo galleries: http://w

tim wolcott

• http://www.galleryoftheamericanlandscape.com
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 10:13:16 pm »

Having been there with Michael and Kevin.  I would say having traveled the world and shot nearly my entire life as a exhibiting photographer who makes his living as a professional photographer.  It was one of my highlights in my life and I talk about it, all the time.  The images and experience of seeing something visionary and nearly extinct from the world, to see and experience the wildlife and scenery that does not fear humans is amazing.  The images I shot there won me 2 smithsonian awards and nearly 18 other international awards.  But besides that, the cost to go there and arrange these trips are very expensive and takes a great deal of time and knowledge.  It is well worth it, but if money is the object than its just not doable.  I want a Mercedes 300sl convertible 1956 but I don't complain about it when I see them at a show room and the sales person tries to sell me one.  It is what it is.  If you can afford to go and want to.  Then you must go.

It will be something to remember and will inspire your thoughts and vision for years.  I highly suggest it.  Tim Wolcott
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 12:49:33 am by tim wolcott »

michael

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 08:40:05 am »

Thanks for the observations Tim. Mind if I quote you?

Michael

michaelmph

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 10:51:45 am »

A ringing endorsement and I'm a great fan of Joe Cornish' work. So tempted, but it's probably just beyond my means. But what does 'nearly 18 other international awards' mean in Tim Wolcott's quote? Two, seventeen?

Adam L

• http://adamlozo.com
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 11:35:59 am »

Tim, can you re-upload the artic sun picture?  It's currently in PSD format.  Very nice work.

I wish I could go.
"That's a lot of money to move a few pix

tim wolcott

• http://www.galleryoftheamericanlandscape.com
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 12:42:53 am »

Michael, you never have to ask to quote me.  If I said it, I stand by it.  After all the Diet cokes we shared.  Sure hope this message finds you in good health.  Tim

Here is the repost of images and some new ones.  Sorry for the PSD file.

Vladimirovich

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 01:47:08 am »

Thanks for the observations Tim. Mind if I quote you?

Michael

probably it is better just to link to Tim's images... better than words I think  8)

michael

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 08:26:23 am »

Thanks Tim.

Kevin and I starting to run our own images from previous trips on the home page. We'll have new ones every few days.

Today's (July 23) is my best wildlife shot, ever.

Michael

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 09:53:29 am »

I looked at the price, and what you get for it, after reading this thread. Too expensive for me, certainly, but not much room for argument about the potential value for money, IMO. I must remember to pick up that lottery ticket.
Ken Cameron

Colorado David

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, 12:45:20 pm »

Assuming this trip continues to happen periodically, I will be on it one day, not this time, but sometime.

Stephen Starkman

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2013, 12:42:59 pm »

I joined Michael in 2005 on his first Antarctica trip. It was one of the highlights of my life as well, as Tim said earlier. I remember reading Michael's announcement here on LuLa, a full year before the trip. I barely hesitated, signing up within a day. Yes, I was fortunate I had the means - and I'm not so fortunate that I can invest the same level of money on anything like it on a regular basis. It was good timing. And strangely, it did feel a bit like an impulse purchase (at least for me at the time!).

Stephen

http://johnpaulcaponigro.com/antarctica/blog/?tag=stephen-starkman

Pages: [1]   Go Up