Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Singh Ray 10-Stop Mor-Slo  (Read 18477 times)

markmullen

• Mark Mullen Photography
Re: Singh Ray 10-Stop Mor-Slo
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2013, 06:34:19 pm »

I often lay a small black towel over the top of my camera, initially to keep it dry when out in bad weather, now most of the time to eliminate light leaks.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2013, 07:21:22 pm »

I often lay a small black towel over the top of my camera, initially to keep it dry when out in bad weather, now most of the time to eliminate light leaks.

Hi Mark,

Indeed, real photographers don't bitch, they find solutions ;) .

However, there can be reflection issues when the outer surface of the most front element of the lens is relatively reflective, and the rear surface of the ND filter also is reflective. Internal absorption inside a high ND filter should not affect its front surface being coated or not too much.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2013, 06:31:47 pm »

I absolutely love my Big Stopper and the whole Lee system. But, I had the BigStopper on back order from B&H for a few months and finally gave up. I paid a little more for it, but got it in two days from Henry's (Canada).
Mike Guilbault

Marlyn

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2013, 11:32:44 am »

At that ridiculous price definitely get the B+W 10 stop, only 105 bucks!

I stopped using square ND filters a while ago as occasionally I would get reflections on the back of the filter that would ruin the shot.

fair point for some.

However, to be clear where I am coming from.  When I'm putting filters in front of $6,000-$9,000 medium format lenses,  personally I aim for the highest quality possible, rather than shopping by the price.

To my mind,  the best is the SinghRay More-Slow,  or the Bigstopper.

The results from either are excellent,  with, in  MY oppinion, the SinghRay being better.
The 5 stop image quality is also excellent, just the robustness of the filter in the field is horrendous.

So it depends what each person are trying to achieve / use case.

Regards

Mark.

markmullen

• Mark Mullen Photography
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2013, 03:02:18 pm »

I've not tried the SinghRay (I don't know of a distributor here in the UK) but will keep an eye out on my travels.

torger

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2013, 11:08:29 am »

I have the B+W 110 10 stop filter, and yes it has a huuuuuge color cast due to IR leakage. I have still had fun with it but had I known about the color cast issue I would not have bought it, there are better alternatives now.

Personally I'd look into Simon's suggestion as screw-in filter is fool-proof concerning light leaks and with 10 stop you cannot have light leaks. I use square filters only for grads, and screw-ins for polarizer and NDs, as I find I have more choices and better coatings on the screw-ins (and more economical too). If I need both grads and screw-ins I attach the screw-ins first and then the square filter holder. Not as generic and fast to work with as square only with pre-mounted holders on all lenses, but it suits my workflow well enough as I don't use filters that often.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up