Poll

Will image one work without hitting mirror on Nikon D800E?

Leica Elmarit-R 28mm f/2.8 on FF camera
- 0 (0%)
Nikon D800E
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rear Lens Clearance of Leica Elmarit-R 28mm f/2.8 on FF camera D800E?  (Read 2439 times)

Gerald Botkin

Elmarit-R 28mm ROM version production run in 2002 with s/n's  3944114 - 3944313 of which there were only 200 hundred made according to leica wiki index. 1st image

I have read photographers using the 2nd image version, ROM and non-ROM  before the year 2002 with no problems in the 11 333 series lenses. Their 28mm's look like the rear lens/ shroud of the 2nd image. I want to use the 1st image on a FF D800E camera if it clears my mirror, of course converting the mount with a Leitax mount. Dave with Leitax couldn't give me a answer if it would work. Maybe someone out there has one with a s/n from 2002 that looks like the 1st image, can compare it with the 2nd image and tell me if there is a difference in the height @ infinity focus on the rear lens/shroud. I don't know if the specs in the leica wiki index are for all later versions even with the different rear lens/ shrouds as seen in these photos. Thank you for your help.

Gerald

Gerald Botkin

Thank you Marc for taking the extra effort to help. Appreciate it very much. Ah, the things we do to use Leica glass.

telyt

I'm just guessing that your 28mm would have the same setback as my 28-90

I don't see any basis for this assumption.  The lenses are a completely different designs.

As a rule of thumb, lenses that fit the Leicaflex SL are likely to clear the mirrors full-frame CaNikon cameras.  The 28mm Elmarit-R is OK on the Leicaflex SL, the 28-90 zoom isn't.

I measured both my 21-35 (shaved to fit)and my 28-90 (not shaved) vario elmart from the rear most portion of the flange and the rear element (leitax mount installed) and you need 5/32" or less to prevent mirror interference.

The mirror swings in an arc so the diameter of the rear protrusion matters too.

If the zoom works OK on Marc's D800E I see no reason the 28 wouldn't because it has more clearance than the zoom.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 09:58:22 AM by wildlightphoto »

oolic

Gerald Botkin

Thanks a bunch, oolic. Exactly what I was looking for. I will try to contact member and see how he made out with his lens.
Pages: [1]   Go Up