Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Red Dawn  (Read 830 times)

garyhill

• Gary Hill Landscape Photography
Red Dawn
« on: July 19, 2013, 08:06:21 am »

This is my local beach and the image forms part of my portfolio which I offer for sale locally. This are 7 image stitched together and I have spent quite a bit of time tidying up the seams, although I think they still need a little more work. Any comments or suggestions welcome.

Gary

Landscape Photography by Gary Hill
www.nghill.net/garyhill

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
Re: Red Dawn
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 11:40:59 am »

This is a really nice image no matter what the market. But as a local image, and recognizable as such by your potential buyers it should do exceptionally well. You may have thought about these ideas already but since you asked I'll list them. I've been very successful with these for my local images:

1. Size a version as 12x36. Plastic envelopes are available in that size and locally bought fomecore backing boards should be no more than $3 ea. An easy $49+ retail unframed. I point out to customers that chain stores such as Michael's sell 12x36 frames at really low prices.
2. Consider several other sizes and formats to fit in standard size frames. Yes, I hate to change aspect ratios too, but they will sell well if the base image does. I'll bet you can find a 16x20 within that image.
3. Use the title (or the town name if nearby) and your name in the borders as shown here if that proves popular but also provide the image without any words. I've found sales go 50-50 that way. I'd even think about using this as a motivational or spiritual image with the words Serenity, Eternity, Peace, or some such.

Heresy-for-some alert:
 I've got sea birds in my digital files I'd use in a heart beat in this image. Flying in formation. Wading in the surf, etc. If I were a painter I'd use such things in my final composition.

I can't comment on the stitching at this size but if you can get it to pass your muster at 200% you are home free.

Isaac

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 06:53:30 pm »

This is a really nice image no matter what the market. ...

Thanks for continuing to share your insights.

garyhill

• Gary Hill Landscape Photography
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 06:59:46 pm »

Lou,

Thank you for the reply, particularly the suggestions about smaller sizes / unframed prints etc. Its a segement of the market I have been looking at for a while but I have struggled to produce a product at what I thought was the right price point. I will definately keep the idea of cropping to std sizes in the back of my mind as well. Thanks again.

Cheers,

Gary

Landscape Photography by Gary Hill
www.nghill.net/garyhill
Pages: [1]   Go Up