Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: D800 vs. D800E for aerial photography  (Read 10817 times)

Atina

D800 vs. D800E for aerial photography
« on: July 19, 2013, 08:02:15 am »

Theoretically, or maybe also practically, in your view, which one is best suited for this kind of job?

I've seen people recommend both and one photographer use D800.

Nikon says for more controlled situations, studio work for example, use D800E, and since a helicopter is many things, but not a studio, what other considerations are there?

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: D800 vs. D800E for aerial photography
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 08:50:52 am »

Theoretically, or maybe also practically, in your view, which one is best suited for this kind of job?

I've seen people recommend both and one photographer use D800.

Nikon says for more controlled situations, studio work for example, use D800E, and since a helicopter is many things, but not a studio, what other considerations are there?

Hi,

It will be difficult to see any difference in the resulting files, so you might as well save some money (it's better spent on good lenses).

Actually, many Raw converters seem to deal slightly more elegant with the demosaicing of the D800 files, from what I've seen sofar. You will also run a bit less of a risk that some regular pattern urban structures (if that is what you'll shoot) will result in aliasing artifacts. Shooting retakes is expensive, and the weather may not allow to.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

PhotoEcosse

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 12:07:58 pm »

As I have mentioned before on this chat room, I have both and seriously can't tell the difference.

So I would second Bart's suggestion. Spend the £300 on beer.
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

Harold Clark

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 01:08:19 pm »

As I have mentioned before on this chat room, I have both and seriously can't tell the difference.

So I would second Bart's suggestion. Spend the £300 on beer.

Not just before you fly though. ;D

MichaelEzra

• https://www.michaelezra.com
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 11:18:44 pm »

Considering that aerial shooting involves inevitable camera shake, I do not see the case where difference between D800 vs D800e will be significant.
D800e should give you a slight edge in other applications, but unlikely in aerial photography.

Coming from AA-less meduim format experience, I am very happy to use the -e version for any type of photography.
In general, aliasing with D800e NEF files using RawTherapee / Amaze demosaic is not a problem, (unless one is trying to find how to find it).

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 03:46:54 am »

Considering that aerial shooting involves inevitable camera shake, I do not see the case where difference between D800 vs D800e will be significant.
D800e should give you a slight edge in other applications, but unlikely in aerial photography.

Hi Michael,

Indeed, camera shake/vibration was also one of my considerations, but there are also things like haze and air turbulence should one be able to expose long enough.

Coming from AA-less meduim format experience, I am very happy to use the -e version for any type of photography.
In general, aliasing with D800e NEF files using RawTherapee / Amaze demosaic is not a problem, (unless one is trying to find how to find it).

While that may be true, it also depends on the subject matter that one shoots. The small sensels and inevitable Capture blur (motion/lens/diffraction) will all 'help' to reduce the aliasing risk. However, for aerial photography (using wider apertures to keep exposure times high) diffraction will be minimized.  And shooting certain urban structures from a distance at oblique angles, can produce repetitive structures with very high spatial frequency detail. Since air time is expensive, and the time window for good light may be limited, I'd avoid the risk.

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 03:49:12 am by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Dave_Wyatt

• Landscape into Photo
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 06:36:01 am »

Get the D800.  I over thought this for ages last year and ended up with a D800 and couldn't be happier.  The key is to get decent lenses -and this often means avoiding Nikon.  Use Zeiss or Leica glass and you will be fine.  The advantages of the 'e' version will become invisible in print in normal conditions, and when working from the air the slightest bit of atmospheric haze will completely negate any difference.  You may also run into the not insignificant moire issue if photographing man made structures form the air so again, the D800 wouold be better suited for the job.
Landscape into Photo: http://www.landscapeintophoto.com
Custom ICC Profiling Service: http://www.customprofiles.co.uk
Portfolio site: http://www.davewyatt.co.uk

SeanBK

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 04:33:15 pm »

I have shot extensively with D800E during travel. Fabrics, silks, Intricate repeating grillwork but my daughter took my pic of me & my grand daughter, I was wearing regular Polo by RL and saw a lil bit of Moire, but that is just so..o rare. I have friends, good photographers shooting with D800 and I can tell which r mine & which r theirs. Quality better in D800E. Good glass a must.

stevebri

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 03:09:26 pm »

You get more unsharp or slightly blurred shots using a D800/E than a smaller pixel led camera, it's just the nature of cramming pixels onto a chip, the Phase One 160/260 (80mp) is similar.

I'd consider the d600, see what Scott Kelby did and why..... Though I don't think he shoots aerial... :)

Steve

Petrus

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 06:12:01 am »

The key is to get decent lenses -and this often means avoiding Nikon.  Use Zeiss or Leica glass and you will be fine. 

If DxO Mark lens database is to be believed the above does not hold water: Best Zeiss for Nikon is #10, bettered by Nikkors and Sigma.

DxO has not tested Leica glass.

Niels_Patrick

• GEISSELBRECHT PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2013, 11:42:26 am »

I made some pictures with 2 d800 and one D800e - out of a helicpoter. Frankfurt Germany Skyline.
You can check it out on my website:

www.geisselbrecht.biz

Speaking about quality ... is hard to tell the differnce. If your workflow is fine d800 is superb.

Niels_Patrick

• GEISSELBRECHT PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2013, 11:44:39 am »

one complaining is .... the black shaddows are a bit noisy against the sun.... maybe I will switch to a d4 next time and do stitching...

Rory

• Recent images
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2013, 08:46:28 pm »

You won't be able to tell the difference between the D800 and D800E.  Here are a few aerial tips in case you have not done this before.

o  shoot through an open window.  You can use LV to compose if the viewing angle is awkward.
o  use a zoom like the 24-70.  Changing lenses in a helicoptor is a pain.
o  bring two cameras with different lenses if you can.  Redundancy and quicker to change cameras then change lenses.
o  shoot at 1/500 sec or higher.
o  tape your hood to the lens as the wind drag can be significant when you stick the lens out the window.

Good luck
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/roryhi
Pages: [1]   Go Up