Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon ipf6400 CS6 Windows Profiling Help  (Read 998 times)

ColourPhil

• Colour Management by Phil Cruse
Canon ipf6400 CS6 Windows Profiling Help
« on: July 19, 2013, 05:27:25 am »

Hi All. After many years of visiting this great site I thought i'd register and would like some advice for a problem.
I'm trying to create an RGB profile for someone as a favour. He's having problems printing my profiling charts without colour management. He's got a canon ipf6400 with the Prograf plug-in running CS6 on Windows.
Unfortunately he can't get the Adobe Color Printer Utility to work with the canon plug-in. So CS6 of course doesn't allow "No Colour Management". He's dropped one set of prints off today which are unusable.
He only has CS6 and no older versions. I have CS4 on a MacBook which I could use in an emergency.
Does the canon plug-in actually have a "No Colour Management" option or does it just use the standard CS options?
I believe that there is a patch (.xml?) for the Canon plug-in for Macs which lists other applications (ACPU), but not sure if available for Win?
Any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers, Phil

Ernst Dinkla

Re: Canon ipf6400 CS6 Windows Profiling Help
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 07:04:40 am »

Would it make that much difference if he used ACPU with the normal Canon drivers instead of the plug-in? There still is the rescaling issue of the target I guess but other threads had solutions for that flaw.
If that does not work you could try the trick to assign a printer profile (or color space) to the target file and use the same printer profile (or the same color space) for the paper you print on. There should not be a color management influence in that route (on Macs ColorSync would make it unreliable though as I understand it). The rendering intent should not matter either as no conversion should happen.
It is not that I think Adobe made a wise decision when it handicapped Photoshop on Windows for an Apple induced OS-X color management flaw but that is not going to change I guess. I'm using Qimage which has been reliable for ages in its CM including target printing.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
July 2013, 500+ inkjet media white spectral plots.

ColourPhil

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 08:41:16 am »

Hi Ernst
Thanks for the advice.
Unfortunately CS6 doesn't allow the (CS5) null profile trick, and gives a warning message.
Apparently his install of ACPU goes straight to Roll paper and doesn't allow selection of media etc.
Not worried about size problem, 3% or so is OK with i1Pro.
Anyone know if the Prograf plug-in allows "No Colour Management" even if CS6 doesn't?
I may visit him tonight armed with MacBook, i1Pro etc. This profile is for a good cause, and is urgent.
Cheers, phil

Justin B

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 09:45:40 am »

Anyone know if the Prograf plug-in allows "No Colour Management" even if CS6 doesn't?

I haven't used the IPF plug-in on CS6, but I've used it for CS5 and it gives you the ability to provide a "None (No Color Correction)" option for the Output Profile. Shouldn't have a problem printing the targets with the plug-in then.
Justin Bodin
Breathing Color

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 11:09:53 am »

The Photoshop iPF plug-in has always been THE method for profiling the iPF printers. It's totally rock solid and you shouldn't consider any other procedure.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

ColourPhil

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 11:37:28 am »

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated. The plug-in works very well for printing Targets. My customer hadn't installed the latest plug-in.
The ipf6400 is a great printer. I visited him as he's not far away, and time was of the essence, and I was doing it as a freebie. We printed charts on two medias, and I profiled one there (11.00 pm) and one at my office the next day.

There is a very sad story behind this which explains the reason for the hurry. My customer is a semi-pro photographer and had recently shot a friend's wedding, and was struggling with the prints. His friend's wife, who is only 27, sadly is terminally ill with only a very short time left. He wanted to get some lovely prints on canvas to her. She is delighted with the photos apparently.

So thanks again to all who helped.
Phil
Pages: [1]   Go Up