Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Death of the PC  (Read 10407 times)

mkihne

Re: Death of the PC
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2013, 03:30:41 pm »

Couldn't even begin to think of editing images critically on anything less than a substantial desktop monitor, but maybe that's just me. I guess you could interface a monitor with your 15" notebook but other than portability of the notebook(which I also use) what's the point? :)

mike

SunnyUK

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2013, 06:39:34 am »

The PC is dead. Long live the PC.

PierreVandevenne

• http://www.datarescue.com/life
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2013, 12:32:27 pm »

The PC will definitely never die for me.
However, do you guys have kids? Eventhough they live in a PC crowded environment, my 9 and 12 yo kids will always give preference to other devices (tablet, smartphone, console) if they have a choice.

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2013, 03:26:11 pm »

From a recent Wall Street Journal article on what's happening to the digital camera market:

'Nidec Corp., a leading supplier of components used in a wide-range of consumer electronics products, said the troubles in the compact digital camera market segment contributed to losses at a subsidiary that produces shutters and lenses. Shigenobu Nagamori, Nidec's chief executive, said the unit's executives held too optimistic of a view of the camera market's rebound.

"I told them to get rid of that kind of thinking," Mr. Nagamori said at a press conference last week in Tokyo. "I'm telling them to assume that the inexpensive cameras [that aren't cellphones] are dead, just like PCs."'

This attitude, taken by enough people, can become self-fulfilling.

I'm afraid that the technologies for the big workstations that many photographers need are not going to be surfing mass-market economies of scale in the future. I hope I'm wrong.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up