Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sign of the times?  (Read 675 times)

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
Sign of the times?
« on: July 18, 2013, 01:24:42 pm »

Neither a technical, nor aesthetic issue, just a "heads-up". This sign is along the roadside at the Covered Bridge at West Montrose, Ontario. I can understand why the property owner would do this – to reduce the foot (tripod) traffic and congestion and to make a few bucks out of a prime view – but, I would be surprised if anyone has actually paid money for the location, as compelling photos of the bridge are possible from the road.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 01:26:16 pm by luxborealis »
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Jason DiMichele

• Jason DiMichele - Fine Art Photographer and Printer
Sign of the times?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 01:38:19 pm »

Wondering if this property owner will issue a legitimate receipt to professional photographers for business purposes… and I would be surprised if said property owner has made any money from this. I agree that photographers should not take photos from the property without permission but from the road is a completely different story. Depending on how unique or recognizable the bridge is, there may be a requirement for a property release for certain commercial uses and I suppose the owner could also charge for that permission.

Cheers!
Jason DiMichele
Fine Art Photographer an

NancyP

Re: Sign of the times?
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 03:58:19 pm »

In my part of the country (Midwest), the sign "Private Property" or "Private Road" exists to warn off poachers and roadside meth cookers, not to mention off-road buggies. If you first present yourself to the owner, the likelihood that he will permit foot traffic and photography is high. Remember, the US is the land of guns, and basically all farmers have a gun somewhere around the property.

leuallen

Re: Sign of the times?
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 09:37:37 am »

NancyP

The only trouble with that is that you often cannot find the owner of the property. In my area it is common for a farmer to work land which is 10-15 miles from his farm.

Larry
Pages: [1]   Go Up