Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Compatibility of new Nikon lens firmware release?  (Read 2246 times)

DickKenny

• Dick Kenny at The Chantry Studio
Compatibility of new Nikon lens firmware release?
« on: July 18, 2013, 08:27:57 am »

I understand that Nikon has released lens firmware updates for a raft of current DSLRs. The aim of which is to correct distortion in camera. Before updating my bodies it would be interesting to know how such will meld with Lightroom's lens correction function?

Anyone know if my concern has legs? And even if it means that Adobe will have to re-tweak all their Nikon lens numbers?

Simon Garrett

Re: Compatibility of new Nikon lens firmware release?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 08:46:47 am »

My understanding is that the in-camera distortion control doesn't effect raw images (other than to put the setting in the NEF metadata).  I think the camera applies distortion control (when enabled) only on jpegs - including the jpeg embedded in a raw file.  So it should have no effect on Lightroom.

However, Thom Hogan yesterday said auto distortion control does effect raw - see http://www.dslrbodies.com/cameras/camera-faq/which-camera-settings-apply.html.  However, in his D800 manual he says that raw files are not affected (p451).

I've checked again today: took 2 raw photos of a test target (on a tripod), one with auto distortion control on, the other off.  In Lightroom (and ACR) neither have any distortion control applied.  If I open the images in Nikon Capture NX2 then it applies distortion control if you set it on in the camera, not otherwise. 

Rory

• Recent images
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 09:34:32 am »

I understand that Nikon has released lens firmware updates for a raft of current DSLRs. The aim of which is to correct distortion in camera. Before updating my bodies it would be interesting to know how such will meld with Lightroom's lens correction function?

Anyone know if my concern has legs? And even if it means that Adobe will have to re-tweak all their Nikon lens numbers?

Simon is correct.  It will possibly change your JPG/TIFF out of camera, and will be used by Nikon software to render NEF files, but will not be used by LR or ACR.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/roryhi

DickKenny

• Dick Kenny at The Chantry Studio
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 10:09:50 am »

Simon: (& Rory)

Thanks very much. In fact the perfect answer. Odd that Nikon make absolutely no mention (in either the D4 or D7100 handbooks to hand) of Distortion Control function having no effect on RAW files in other than their own software conversion programmes. Or maybe not! Again thanks for your replies. Cordially, dk

Rory

• Recent images
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 11:26:29 am »

In the Nikon world not much else exists...
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/roryhi

Denis de Gannes

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 06:34:03 pm »

Exactly Nikon provides software to process your files which is sold and is marketed in competition with Adobe software. Nikon is not about to enhance Adobe's ability to provide a superior product to their product.
Adobe needs to attend to their products enhancements.
Adobe provides updates approximately 4 times a year to Camera Raw and Lightroom the last one was LR 5.0 and ACR 8.1 around mid June. A further update is not expected for a couple of months.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 06:44:28 pm by Denis de Gannes »
Equip: iMac (Ret. 5K,27"Mid 2015),macOS 10.15.6
Pages: [1]   Go Up