Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: IQ180 to IQ260. Who's done it? Thoughts?  (Read 14232 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: IQ180 to IQ260. Who's done it? Thoughts?
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2013, 08:36:27 am »

Get a D800E. ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

gerald.d

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2013, 08:58:33 am »

Get a D800E. ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

Thanks Bernard - that put a smile on my face :D

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2013, 09:11:30 am »

Don't you dare accuse me of things that you have no knowledge of whatsoever.

I've been working through my dealer on this for the last 4 months.

You're right. I'm sorry for making bad assumptions; I thought you had purchased your IQ180 from eBay. Please accept my apologies.

gerald.d

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2013, 09:13:59 am »

You're right. I'm sorry for making bad assumptions; I thought you had purchased your IQ180 from eBay. Please accept my apologies.

I did purchase my IQ180 from eBay. What's your point?

(Oh boy, this is gonna be a fun ride I can tell aready...)

Doug Peterson

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2013, 09:15:02 am »

Well in any case you have my apologies. My original comment was borderline rude.

We also found the lack of an official upgrade program from the 180 to the 260 to be disappointing (especially given that the 260 has long exposure and the 280 is limited to 2 min). In each case that we helped make such an upgrade happen we had to think outside the box to get it done.

Best wishes. Great timelapse.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 09:18:07 am by Doug Peterson »

gerald.d

« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2013, 09:21:07 am »

Well in any case you have my apologies. My original comment was borderline rude.

Best wishes.
No Doug - it was way past borderline rude. It was libelous.

Please.

Do expand on the eBay thing.

You seem to be implying that your stance and comments about me would be valid were my original IQ180 purchase to have been through eBay.

Well, it was. Your recollection there was actually spot-on.

So please - do carry on. I'm all ears.

Doug Peterson

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2013, 09:30:50 am »

Well, I always  thought it was the other way round. It should be the dealer looking to build a 'meaningful' relationship with their clients, thereby engendering not only brand loyalty but also, more importantly, a feeling that they, the dealer, are offering something more than simply being 'box pushers'.

Absolutely. A dealer (or provider of any service/good) has a very strong burden to prove their value and make doing business as easy as possible.

This is just like a photographer who must do everything reasonable they can to provide excellent service and build a relationship with their client.

But every relationship is a two-way road. At least in my view. A client of a photographer that consistently breaks appointments, is inconsiderate or difficult to deal with, or doesn't pay on time will likely find the photographer less willing to bend rules or find creative ways around hurdles that come up. Agreed? (note, I'm not implying anyone here is the "client" in my example - just clarifying this post).
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 09:36:22 am by Doug Peterson »

Doug Peterson

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2013, 09:32:27 am »

No Doug - it was way past borderline rude. It was libelous.

Only so many ways I can apologize Gerald.  :(

buckshot

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2013, 10:40:28 am »

What an interesting thread this has turned out to be into the very opaque world of pricing, dealerships and upgrades. Kind of reminds me of car buying before publications like Kelly Blue Book etc. appeared, which give the consumer an objective insight into the numbers dealers are working with. Maybe we need a Kelly Blue Book for MFDBs, I mean - they cost the price of a (really nice) car after all.

When I was in the market for a (used) P65+ it was like pulling hen's teeth trying to get the price out of the dealer. He uummed, and ahhhed about whether I was for 'real' (I kid you not) - was I going to go through with the deal once he told me his super dooper special price (er, tell me the price and then I'll decide). It was pure torture - if I remember correctly I had to reassure him by pointing out that I'd just bought a Horseman, and that it wouldn't be much use without a MFDB - in order to get the price out of him. Madness, utter madness. If there had been another dealer in the country, I'd have gone. But there wasn't. I guess looking back he was terrified I would use his quote to get an even better deal overseas - perhaps indicating the degree of latitude individual dealers have to set price. Maybe he sold cars before DBs, who knows. It was all so cloak and dagger as to be unbelievable - it simply shouldn't have been that way. In the end, I bought privately (shock, horror) - so much less hassle than continuing the 'relationship' with my local Phase One dealer.

If someone can upgrade from an IQ180 to an IQ260 (and I say upgrade because it's from older technology to newer technology, though admittedly it's in Phase's interest to say, well, the MP count is lower so it's not an upgrade) for $XX then it should be that way for everyone, no matter what path to ownership of the IQ180 they followed (from a dealer, privately, winning it in a raffle, whatever). Adjustments to the price should only vary depending on the condition/warranty of the IQ180 they are looking to move away from, and owning the IQ180 should be all that's needed to get that price, not being on some dealer's Christmas Card list. When I shot 8x10 I never remember having to have a relationship with the place I bought film from. Whilst I understand that the whole mechanics and economics of trade-ins/cross-grades/up-grades/down-grades can be tricky, you do wonder how much say Phase has in the transaction given that the traded-in back will probably (though not always) end up back with them to be refurbished etc. and put back on the market. I would hate to think that Phase will accommodate some IQ180 users moving to an IQ260 because they have 'relationships' with dealers (whatever that slightly stomach churning phrase means), whilst for others they couldn't care less - in effect punishing them for not going through their authorised dealer network when originally purchasing their DB. Bottom line: you own a $40k Phase One digital back, you should be treated equally (and like royalty!) by Phase One and their dealers the world over. Period.

Manoli

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2013, 11:21:07 am »

But every relationship is a two-way road. At least in my view. A client of a photographer that consistently breaks appointments, is inconsiderate or difficult to deal with, or doesn't pay on time will likely find the photographer less willing to bend rules or find creative ways around hurdles that come up. Agreed? (note, I'm not implying anyone here is the "client" in my example - just clarifying this post).

Yes, agreed - most definitely a two-way street.
Thanks your PM - will reply asap.

M

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2013, 11:24:28 am »

Well, Gerald---there is also this one:  http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=80885.0

:)

mmbma

« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2013, 01:51:16 pm »

Well, Gerald---there is also this one:  http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=80885.0

:)

I was going to say, who's going to pick up on my post! :)

I in fact had a very nice experience with my dealer. I bought a used P65+ back from ebay and upgraded to IQ260 through a dealer. They were very patient with my incessant questions and were very transparent in pricing. I was informed on almost all cross/upgrade options and pricing through the process. The prices pretty much are all consistent across multiple dealers as those are the prices set by Phase one. with small variation of incentives here and there (discount on warranty, throw in some accessories, better trade in pricing on cameras, etc. )

For me, it was a question of need. I needed the long expo for a park and waterfall project from upstate new york. The camera basically enabled me to get the job. So no much choices there. Now with that done, I want to shoot leisurely for a while and print up for a personal exhibition next year so I'm gravitating back to higher resolution. (Not decided just yet). Which is the reason why I am selling.

I think if you are patient, you would find backs like mine on the resale market driven out of need. People who bought the IQ260 might have needed its long expo function, and want to recoup some of the cost that we paid after the project. While there are IQ180 users looking for a cost effective option to go to IQ260 without paying the ridiculous cross grade price. Win Win situation if ever saw one.

Chris Livsey

« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2013, 01:58:25 pm »

Fair comment.
I wish U.K. Dealers would give the 'real' price on their websites though.

So true, even upgrades at the lower end, which should be transparent, are an enigma wrapped in a paradox lit by mirrors and smoke.
I've even traded e-mails for a week quoting my serial numbers, which they can check are registered to me, with no joy.
Please note this is UK.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up