Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Apple Macbook Pro with Retina display  (Read 6536 times)

greyscale

Apple Macbook Pro with Retina display
« on: July 16, 2013, 11:21:59 pm »

Am considering an upgrade to a new Macbook w/Retina and im wondering If the owners of these laptops have noticed any change in their Lightroom workflows. Are you for instance, not moving the Contrast slider as much as you would have on a non Retina laptop?. Perhaps less brightness, etc?.
Also, any change to the way you softproof for printing?

I ask as the price of the Retina is quite a bit higher then a non Retina laptop.

Thanks,
greyscale

Lee Rentz

Re: Apple Macbook Pro with Retina display
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 05:38:19 pm »

I am using a Macbook Pro with Retina, and it is the best computer I have ever owned. My workflow is to do almost all my Lightroom editing on the Macbook Pro, then send the files to a Mac Mini, which uses a calibrated Spectraview monitor and large external hard drives. I find that color and most other variables are nearly always perfect, but sometimes I need to add contrast to the final DNG file. Apparently the Retina screen makes the file look more slightly more contrasty than it does on a calibrated monitor.

If I was just using the Macbook Pro with Retina, I might add a bit of extra contrast before printing. Overall, it is nearly perfect.

Tim_Smith

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 10:06:27 am »

Upon the death of my older Mac Pro, I purchased the MBPr as a temporary desktop replacement with the idea that I would ultimately replace it with one of the new Mac Pros. However, I am completely blown away by the performance of the MBPr. I have never used the retina screen on the laptop since from day one I've run an Eizo 27" monitor off of it via Thunderbolt. I bought the maxed out version with 16gbs of RAM and the thing does (almost) everything better than my old Mac Pro (I miss having 4 HDs). Heck, I might just skip the new Mac Pro cylinder.

I know that's not the answer to your specific question about how the retina display will effect your LR process, but thought it might help to have a more general recommendation. It's a solid, silent, screamer.

Tim

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 12:53:45 pm »

Upon the death of my older Mac Pro, I purchased the MBPr as a temporary desktop replacement with the idea that I would ultimately replace it with one of the new Mac Pros. However, I am completely blown away by the performance of the MBPr.

Me too. Have owned mine about 10 days, it's an awesome and fast machine. I have it hooked up to an NEC PA271W, no issues. I was going to get the new MacPro but decided it was too new a technology to jump onto first units out. The Retina will keep me happy for quite awhile.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".
Pages: [1]   Go Up