Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Donation & A Dinner: Worth It?  (Read 2585 times)

JoeKitchen

Donation & A Dinner: Worth It?
« on: July 15, 2013, 04:22:00 pm »

I was offered the opportunity to donate $250 to my local AIA office to support the young architects association.  The donation comes with an invitation to a dinner (with a dress as your favorite movie character theme) that will be attended by late 20s/early 30s architects.  Could be a great networking event, but do you think it is worth $250?

I am an architectural photographer. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Rob C

Re: Donation & A Dinner: Worth It?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 06:14:37 pm »

I was offered the opportunity to donate $250 to my local AIA office to support the young architects association.  The donation comes with an invitation to a dinner (with a dress as your favorite movie character theme) that will be attended by late 20s/early 30s architects.  Could be a great networking event, but do you think it is worth $250?

I am an architectural photographer. 

Look at it as a good way of being seen in the right places; become a fixture. You support them, it can work back to you. Blow that money on a meal or a bottle of something special on your own or with a wife/friend and it ends down the tubes. You have to look as if you belong. Be happy you were invited.

Rob C

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 08:33:12 pm »

If you don't think that $250 is worth rubbing elbows with that many potential clients I have little respect for your business acumen. See if you can come up with a movie character that can use a camera as part of the costume and you'll do just fine.

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 09:29:39 pm »

Yeah, I think this one is an easy choice. Go. Mingle. Chat. Bring plenty of business cards. Be willing to discuss your work if asked, but otherwise just your being there as a sponsor sets you up as an expert.

If I had a narrow specialty like architecture, I'd probably have a whole page on my portfolio web site on "how to hire an architecture photographer."
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/
Pages: [1]   Go Up