Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FLASH MOUNTED DIFFUSERS  (Read 4246 times)

boku

• http://www.bobkulonphoto.com
FLASH MOUNTED DIFFUSERS
« on: August 10, 2005, 08:14:54 am »

The Stofen is not a diffuser. It is used to provide fill light when you aim the flash head towards the ceiling for bounce. I have one and can testify that if you try to use it as a diffuser, straight on, the results are dismal since the light patern is uneven and the SOURCE of light is no larger than the original flash head. As a bounce fill device, it works very well.
Bob Kulon

Oh, one more thing...[b

jd1566

FLASH MOUNTED DIFFUSERS
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2005, 07:51:05 am »

I am contemplating the purchase of a diffuser for my flash.  I have come up with two alternatives:
Stofen diffuser ($17 +/-)
Westcott Micro Apollo Softbox ($35 +/-)

The first is a plastic cup that fits over your flash, and is specific to certain models. It is small and portable.
The second is an assembled softbox that fits over the flash and fits most models.  It is rather larger than the diffuser.

I am looking for advice regarding which one to go with, especially from people who have used both, or perhaps another system altogether.  I am particularly interested in finding out which one of the above gives more pleasing and natural result to flash photography.

Although my photography style is very frenetic, I will most probably be using the diffuser in portrait sessions without too much pressure on time, nor fighting with other photographers for elbow room. I shoot digitally with a 20D anda 380Ex flash.

Your comments would be appreciated
B&W photographer - Still lifes, Portrait
Pages: [1]   Go Up