Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OMD bracketing / PP techniques  (Read 2129 times)

OldRoy

• http://
OMD bracketing / PP techniques
« on: July 15, 2013, 05:33:41 am »

For my sins I've developed a bit of a niche doing VR panos. Up to now I've been using a D700/16mm ais (a D200/10.5 prior to that) but there are many situations where the OMD/Samyang 7.5 would be ideal. Whilst it's a contentious technique, the use of modest HDR is unavoidable in situations where there is a huge exposure range - a church interior would be a good example of this. But yet again a manufacturer cripples the bracketing.

With the D700 the max interval is 1ev so you need shutter-burning 7 shots to get a +/- 3 stop bracket. Even worse, the OMD has a maximum of 5 shot bracketing at 1 stop intervals although it allows 7 shots if you select 0.7 ev! manually selecting exposure compensation at one end of the range is something I've considered but  handling the camera body between shots - apart from the necessary rotation of the pano head - is something I'd prefer to avoid.

Given that the DR of the OMD is about the same as the D700 and that the former is inherently noisier does anyone have an opinion (or experience) as to whether it's preferable to favour under exposure/push or over exposure/pull when processing the raws? Obviously I'm going to do some tests before committing to using the camera. It would be a simple firmware change to make the number and interval pre-selectable (within reason.)  As with so many other idiotically ill-conceived restrictions.

Roy

AFairley

Re: OMD bracketing / PP techniques
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 12:44:51 pm »

Roy, this is tangentially responsive to your question, though I don't do panos or HDR.  I have my OM-D set up to auto bracket, at values of ) and +1.  (The idea is that I can use the +1 file as an ETTR to cut down on the shadow noise, but can fall back to the 0 if the +1 blew any of the highlights.)  To date I have not had to drop down to the 0 version for anything I've printed, what's blown is specular or near enough to so as not to matter.  In fact I started out bracketing at 0 and +0.7, but bumped it up to +1 because of the lack of problems at +0.7.
Pages: [1]   Go Up