Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sunrise on Haleakala  (Read 3046 times)

Andres Bonilla

Sunrise on Haleakala
« on: July 13, 2013, 04:33:15 pm »

I took this picture in Hawaii. It was difficult because the sun was very strong, so I moved toward the crater, I liked the sun hitting the lens and the slight glare it produced but recovering the shadows it created this matte painting look. I loved the clouds but they were super bright. Any ideas or suggestions?

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: Sunrise on Haleakala
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 04:58:51 pm »

Very, very nice, Andres. The lens flares contribute to the thing. Bravo!
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 05:51:09 pm »

Pump it up?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 05:59:35 pm by Bruce Cox »

Andres Bonilla

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 06:28:50 pm »

Very, very nice, Andres. The lens flares contribute to the thing. Bravo!

Thank you! The camera meter went crazy on this location, it went from F 22 blinking to F 4.0, the drive was a bit scary at night but soon the sunrise made this worhwhile. I need to do the sequence from the almost completely dark to the full sun.

Andres Bonilla

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 06:32:05 pm »

Pump it up?

Thanks Bruce, I usually go more with this approach but I have been told that it makes some of my photos a bit sinister; I would love to see how many people would actually prefer this more vibrant treatment as oppose to my original attempt. Did you pump it up with levels and curves?

AFairley

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 06:46:14 pm »

I prefer the first one for sure, it really captures what that sort of light is like.

Tony Jay

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 06:52:30 pm »

It is a wonderful capture.
I think Bruces idea to increase contrast works a bit better than the original.

Tony Jay

nemo295

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 07:15:44 pm »

I prefer the quality of light conveyed in the first version. It's a really nice shot.

If I had to find fault with it I would have preferred fewer blocked highlights in the clouds. But those were probably unavoidable without resorting to HDR, which would have been worse.

Michael Haspert

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2013, 07:16:23 pm »

I like the first as-is, because I read it as wonderfully paradoxical--realistic, yet unearthly.  
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 07:24:30 pm by Michael Haspert »

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2013, 07:33:13 pm »

Thanks Bruce, I usually go more with this approach but I have been told that it makes some of my photos a bit sinister; I would love to see how many people would actually prefer this more vibrant treatment as oppose to my original attempt. Did you pump it up with levels and curves?

Neither, I used Apply Image, Multiply {invert 100%}, and then layered the attached B & W conversion over it.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2013, 07:47:22 pm »

I'll go against the majority and say that the technical deficiencies (blown highlights, flare) disqualify the otherwise good idea from a serious consideration. Bracketing might have resulted in something more usable. Close, but no cigar, sorry.

Andres Bonilla

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2013, 08:19:03 pm »

I prefer the first one for sure, it really captures what that sort of light is like.

Thanks! To my eye my rendition is the closest I could get to what I saw, it was hard to meter though.

Andres Bonilla

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2013, 08:20:20 pm »

It is a wonderful capture.
I think Bruces idea to increase contrast works a bit better than the original.

Tony Jay

Thanks Tony. Bruce rendition is moodier and mysterious, I like it too.

Andres Bonilla

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2013, 08:22:31 pm »

I prefer the quality of light conveyed in the first version. It's a really nice shot.

If I had to find fault with it I would have preferred fewer blocked highlights in the clouds. But those were probably unavoidable without resorting to HDR, which would have been worse.

Thanks Dough, I tried a few hand held shots that came out ok in HDR but as you suggested they end result was kind of strange, not bad but a totally different look.

Andres Bonilla

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2013, 08:23:26 pm »

I like the first as-is, because I read it as wonderfully paradoxical--realistic, yet unearthly.  

Thanks! This a good description of the location and time a day.

Andres Bonilla

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2013, 08:27:16 pm »

Neither, I used Apply Image, Multiply {invert 100%}, and then layered the attached B & W conversion over it.

Ok ! I have never tried this approach! Sounds very interesting, I need to see if CS2 has the apply image thing. I always work with layers and I selectively apply whatever I am doing. Does it work with most of the times with a global approach like this or do you sometimes use a mask?

Andres Bonilla

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2013, 08:33:45 pm »

I'll go against the majority and say that the technical deficiencies (blown highlights, flare) disqualify the otherwise good idea from a serious consideration. Bracketing might have resulted in something more usable. Close, but no cigar, sorry.
Thanks Slobodan, actually this is one of the few photos that despite the technical misses I still like because it evokes an atmosphere and memory of what I saw. As I posted the differences in  F Stops was huge, I don't think bracketing would have salvaged the highlights. As fare as the flare is concerned is one of my favorites things about the photo. The rangers pulled the dark glasses because it got really bright.
Actually I thought I was going to be in the minority of photographers liking the photo.

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2013, 11:51:57 pm »

Ok ! I have never tried this approach! Sounds very interesting, I need to see if CS2 has the apply image thing. I always work with layers and I selectively apply whatever I am doing. Does it work with most of the times with a global approach like this or do you sometimes use a mask?

Showing the scene the way you saw it is a good idea, and it looks like an interesting photographic experience.  I use levels mainly, but you had already done that, and hitting it with a large hammer is sometimes a good idea too. The adjustments in Apply Image can be coarse and drastic.  I wear shades when out doors unless I am looking through my camera.  Bright light is a wonderful force but...
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 12:15:51 am by Bruce Cox »
Pages: [1]   Go Up