Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR5: radial tool vs polarisation  (Read 6894 times)

dreed

LR5: radial tool vs polarisation
« on: July 13, 2013, 07:43:53 am »

I'm looking at some pics where I've used a polariser with a wide angle lens and I'm wondering if there is a way to fit this...

Has anyone used the radial tool (possibly with a trip to PS) to correct the sky where the polarising effect darkens some of it?

The trip out to PS would be required because the polarisation in the sky doesn't extend below the horizon whereas the radial tool will?

jrsforums

Re: LR5: radial tool vs polarisation
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 10:17:20 am »

I'm looking at some pics where I've used a polariser with a wide angle lens and I'm wondering if there is a way to fit this...

Has anyone used the radial tool (possibly with a trip to PS) to correct the sky where the polarising effect darkens some of it?

The trip out to PS would be required because the polarisation in the sky doesn't extend below the horizon whereas the radial tool will?

One of the reasons I only use a polarizer for reflections (wtaer or foliage), not shy....particulary on a wide lens.  It is easy to darken the sky in post....but harder to take out uneven effects.
John

PhotoEcosse

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 09:58:58 am »

Yes - with modern post-exposure processing, the avoidance of reflections and glare on non-metallic surfaces is really the only remaining reason to use a polarising filter nowadays.

I wonder if one of the next developments in Lightroom will be to provide a "transform" function for the radial filter so that its shape can be dragged into forms other than circles, ovals and elipses? That would solve the OP's problem.

"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

francois

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 07:22:55 am »

…Has anyone used the radial tool (possibly with a trip to PS) to correct the sky where the polarising effect darkens some of it?

I've tried but was unsuccessful but it was a very severe case of bad polarisation. The shot was made at night and I didn't notice that I left my polarizer… The correction was far worse that the original shot. I would have spent more time but the photo was not worth it as it had some other technical deficiencies.
Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up