Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What to do before moving an Epson 7900 15 miles to my new house?  (Read 9948 times)

jceven

So, I searched for "transporting 7900" and "moving 7900" and didn't turn up much here, my forum-fu may be weak.

I am moving to a new house in a few weeks, and I haven't moved my Epson 7900 since I unpacked it and set it up over 2 year ago where I live now.  I grokked around on google, and didn't turn up much on recommendations for what to do with the printer before moving. 

Any recommendations?  Is there a hidden "transport mode" in the service menu or anything.

I was thinking to take it off the stand, and load it lengthwise into my wagon, it should fit pretty well and I ought to be able to strap it snug inside with some hooks/strap points on the inside.

Thanks for the collective knowledge guys!

jceven

Re: What to do before moving an Epson 7900 15 miles to my new house?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 12:34:10 am »

"Transporting and Storing the printer" is of some help in the manual on page 173, but it doesn't offer much more than "make sure the head is to the far right" then "shut off the printer", and "Open the front cover and re-install the packaging material that you removed from the print head during setup"  Darn it if I don't really remember where I put that...

shadowblade

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 12:58:15 am »

Or just pay a courier to do it, so that you can hold them financially accountable if it's damaged in transit.

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 06:11:25 am »

Wish I knew the answer to that one.
It was my 7900 that was sold to Eric.
(Longest thread on this forum.)
It left Pa. working perfectly and by the time it got to Ca. was not.
We did everything right,at least we thought we did. Taped the head and made sure the crate was never turned on end or laid on its side.
A friend of Eric's did the move so we were very confident this never happened.
At least your move seems like a short one so hopefully it will go smooth as silk.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 09:19:09 am »

I would get a piece of high-density foam to set the printer on during transport. Also, if you time the move right - say, very early morning - you might be able to drive real slowly to lessen shaking.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 12:26:42 pm »

I moved a 9800 from northern California to southeast British Columbia in my Sprinter van.  The vendor followed the instructions in the manual, I just drove.  Several years later, it's still working perfectly.

I would expect the absolute worst thing that could happen is that the printer was subject to freezing.  Remember, ink is 95% water.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 02:34:54 pm »

Remember, ink is 95% water.

And based on the price, 5% unobtainium!

framah

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 04:22:03 pm »

When I sold my old 9900, the guy lived 180 miles away and we just honked it up into his van and strapped it in place and off he went.  No problems. It isn't as delicate as you might think.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

jceven

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 12:39:01 am »

Yeah, I just need to transport it 10 miles to our new house (in a condo atm, my wife is thrilled that it will be out of this tiny place lol).  I think im going to follow the EPSON manual advice, cushion it, and transport just the printer in my car.  I am expecting it to go fine.  I will probably run a bi-directional alignment just to be safe when I get it set up at the new place.

MBrew

• Brewsphoto.Com
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 11:19:38 am »

I moved my current 7900 about 40 miles with no issues. We parked the head and shut it off properly. We attempted to place the original head packing in place and taped the head in place as a precaution.  Then we rolled it out to the pickup, removed the stand AND the plastic paper guides under the printer. Then we slid it into the truckbed on some large cardboard and lightly strapped it down.  The drive home was sane and sensible and seasoned with prayer.  We reversed the procedure at home and after more prayer hooked it up and turned it on.  God does answer prayer and it and fantastic prints are still flowing out of it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up