Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cropping a large size test strip for a smaller printer....  (Read 2115 times)

Mr. Capp

Cropping a large size test strip for a smaller printer....
« on: July 10, 2013, 05:24:02 pm »

I want to see what the quality of my images would look like larger than what my 3880
Can print. Is there an easy way in lightroom to print a small portion of what would then be a large image? I can only select a print size that the printer is capable of accommodating.

Obviously the other option is just use photoshop but is there a way in lightroom?

-Michael

eliedinur

Re: Cropping a large size test strip for a smaller printer....
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 01:53:07 am »

Nothing easier. Crop out a critical section of the image. Make a Virtual Copy. Go back to the master and cancel the crop by stepping back in History or resetting the crop if you will be printing the full frame without cropping. Print the VC with the same settings you will be using to export the file for the big print, ppi and sharpening. View the proof from the same distance the big print will be viewed.
Roll over Ed Weston,
Tell Ansel Adams th

Mr. Capp

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 06:01:48 am »

I guess this gets me halfway there, I was wanting to see the actual print difference by printing this crop from lightroom, at a
If I export this crop wouldn't it resize the small crop to the overall image size I want, making the entire image dozens of times larger than I had hoped for
or am I missing something?

Mr. Capp

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 06:16:19 am »

I almost had it. I cropped and then made a custom paper size (24x36) which left just my small crop in the center of the image, went to print and lightroom rendered it, went to spool in driver then just disappeared.

anyone else know how to fool the 3880 to think it's printing like a larger printer.

again I guess I can always move it to PS but if I can save the hassle. I really felt like this custom paper size would work but :(

eliedinur

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 09:39:22 am »

If I export this crop wouldn't it resize the small crop to the overall image size I want, making the entire image dozens of times larger than I had hoped for...?
Why would it do that? Let's say your image is 4000x6000 pixels. You want to print it on 30 x 45 inch paper at 300 ppi. That means that LR will have to enlarge it to 9000x13500, a 2.25X enlargement. If you crop out an 800x1200 section and set LR to enlarge it by 2.25X to 1800x2700 pixels, that will give you 6 x 9 inch, 300 ppi print. Print it on 8 x 10 paper with 1 inch margins on the long side and 0.5 inch margins on the short side, or better yet, send it to the same lab where you plan to do the big print and instruct him to print it "as is".
Roll over Ed Weston,
Tell Ansel Adams th
Pages: [1]   Go Up