Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom print sharpening, why so layperson?  (Read 16451 times)

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
Re: Lightroom print sharpening, why so layperson?
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2013, 09:03:33 am »

with the detail slider towards the left, one is basically using a kind of Creative sharpening method (modifying feature and edge contrast), and with the Detail slider towards the right one is using a type of Capture sharpening method (Deconvolution, restoration of resolution).
Is capture sharpening defined by the mean, as opposed to its goal?
I personally don't mind the theorically less adapted algorithm of detail=0, as, in practice, its much lesser effect on noise can give me an image that I feel closer to the capture that with detail=0 with my noisy cameras. ;)

To get back to the topic core, I'd really like to have a separate tool for creative sharpening too.
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2013, 09:32:55 am »

Is capture sharpening defined by the mean, as opposed to its goal?

Hi,

I'm not sure I understand the question. I would think that Capture sharpening is a means to achieve the goal of a better quality file to work on, without the blur that the Capture process inevitably creates, who wouldn't want that?

It also creates a more uniform type of image quality to base the following steps on. Without it, one would need to use different Creative sharpening for each image if they were shot with different lenses and/or apertures. With Capture sharpening one may use much more similar Creative sharpening, perhaps even just presets.

I personally don't mind the theorically less adapted algorithm of detail=0, as, in practice, its much lesser effect on noise can give me an image that I feel closer to the capture that with detail=0 with my noisy cameras. ;)

Noise reduction has become pretty good over the years. Besides, Noise is not the same as the Detail you can recover with proper Capture sharpening, and noise may look very different if the Capture sharpening was sub-optimal.

To get back to the topic core, I'd really like to have a separate tool for creative sharpening too.

That seems to be the general consensus.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2013, 09:39:40 am »

I think we do agree!

Besides, Noise is not the same as the Detail you can recover with proper Capture sharpening, and noise may look very different if the Capture sharpening was sub-optimal.
And for that, I prefer the compromise of detail=0 than adding much more noise reduction on the top of detail=100. For things like that, I wish I were living in an ideal world.
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2013, 09:50:24 am »

I think we do agree!
And for that, I prefer the compromise of detail=0 than adding much more noise reduction on the top of detail=100. For things like that, I wish I were living in an ideal world.

I agree that Detail=100 is usually too much, but 50 is a better starting point than the usual default, if the noise is not too bad. I'm a low ISO shooter, so I carry a monopod or tripod around a lot of the time.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up