Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Extremely slow performance in LR5 using clone and adjustment brush  (Read 15223 times)

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography

Since I've upgraded to LR5, the cloning tool and adjustment brush have become almost useless.  They behave as if in slow motion, taking sometimes 3-5 seconds or more to react to a movement or click.  Sometimes, after I've started it'll catch up, but when processing a few hundred images, those 3-5 seconds sure add up.  I'm not used to waiting.  Everything else seem to be working fine.

I'm on a MacPro, dual 2.8GHz Quad-Core Xeon processors, 20GB of RAM.  My LR catalog is on a drive that is only half full, however my images are on a drive that is almost completely full.  Could that have anything to do with it?  If not, any other suggestions?
Mike Guilbault

Glenn NK

Re: Extremely slow performance in LR5 using clone and adjustment brush
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 11:30:18 am »

I've found the same results on a pretty fast Win machine (16GB memory).

And my drives are 72% and 75% free (and I defrag regularly).

It's easier to use LR4.4 in these situations (I have both on my C: drive).

Glenn

PS:  Changing the brush size with the slider is pretty well instantaneous, but changing brush size with the mouse wheel is very slow.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 11:52:33 am by Glenn NK »
Economics:  the study of achieving infinite growth with finite resources

francois

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 12:07:48 pm »

I've experienced the same problem only a few times but haven't bothered to write down how to reproduce the issue. I'm using a Mac (OS X 10.8.4).
Francois

mvsoske

• Mark V'Soske Photography
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 01:32:45 pm »

I have experienced this in LR5 mostly when I perform a lens correction first but not too often without the lens correction.

Rand47

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 01:37:30 pm »

Ditto, unfortunately.  Frustrating.  I built this machine so LR 4 would go fast.  It did.  Two steps backward.

W7 Pro, i7 Ivy, 32 gigs RAM, SSD for program, separate SSD for catalog & scratch, fast HDD - less than half full for image files.  NEC PA271.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Rand47

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 01:43:17 pm »

I have experienced this in LR5 mostly when I perform a lens correction first but not too often without the lens correction.

Interesting. I didn't notice slowdown until recently working on files that I had enabled lens correction.  Previously had been working w/ Sigma DP Merrill files, ergo no LCs available and it seemed as fast as LR 4.  I'll have to do some testing with & without LC applied. 

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

AFairley

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 01:55:45 pm »

That is interesting, my impression is that 5 is much faster than 4.x on adjustment brush operations  (Win 7, i7, 32GB ram)

Rand47

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 02:15:38 pm »

That is interesting, my impression is that 5 is much faster than 4.x on adjustment brush operations  (Win 7, i7, 32GB ram)

Mine was also.  Are you applying lens corrections early in work flow?  If not, would you do so and report on any impact?

It is still faster moving between modules, etc.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

mvsoske

• Mark V'Soske Photography
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 03:13:55 pm »

Interesting. I didn't notice slowdown until recently working on files that I had enabled lens correction.  Previously had been working w/ Sigma DP Merrill files, ergo no LCs available and it seemed as fast as LR 4.  I'll have to do some testing with & without LC applied. 

Rand

I was aware of this from LR 4.x through either some conversations on this board or through one of the LL videos on LR which, when I encountered the issue with LR5, made me compare with and without LC.  For me, it rears its head when I do a lot of spotting.  Overall though, LR5 is faster in most everything else.

Mark

Glenn NK

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 03:23:54 pm »

I never do lens corrections - the images I use the brush on are macros shot with a f/2.8 100 mm Canon macro lens; distortion is minimal and in any event won't show up in a flower.

Overall LR5 is faster than LR4.4, but when it comes to the brush, LR5 bites the dust.

Glenn
Economics:  the study of achieving infinite growth with finite resources

Mac Mahon

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 03:37:05 pm »

No issues here that I have noticed.   Not even after lens corrections.  LR5, Mac OSX 10.8.4. 

Tim

Robert-Peter Westphal

• Nature-Photography Westphal
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2013, 05:53:59 am »

For me it is the same on Windows 8 / core I5 and just 8gigs of ram : the performance is almost as good as it was using Lr 3. Although using lens correction and local adjustments, the performance is well.

Robert
'visit my completly renewed gallery at http://www.naturfotografie-westphal.com '

mburke

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2013, 08:05:01 am »

LR 5 is awful with the spot tool and the Intuos 5 tablet. If I change to a mouse it is usable. I've tried most every cure I've found on the internet and nothing seems to work. When using the mouse I can click and drag the spot and instantly the area it comes from appears. With the tablet it can take 3-5 seconds. Really irritating. Other tools (crop, adj. brush, Filter) all work fine with either one. Have installed the newest graphic, inutuos drivers. Would really be happy if this got resolved but I see a lot of finger pointing going on.

Overall LR5 is really nice. I am very happy with the quality of the pictures and ease of use (thanks to Jeff and Mike's videos).

Mike

Rand47

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2013, 01:38:03 pm »

LR 5 is awful with the spot tool and the Intuos 5 tablet.

I had same problem.  There's a driver update released June 18, 2013 (for both PC and OSX):  http://www.wacom.com/customercare/Drivers.aspx?model=Intuos5&os=Windows+7

Solved the problem on my W7 machine.  UPDATE:  I was having "hopeful illusions" when I first updated the Wacom Intuos 5 driver... spot tool "repositioning" of the clone area is still all but impossible with the pen.  I have to switch to my mouse to move it - unless I need a nap.  :-)

Rand
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 11:05:12 am by Rand47 »
Rand Scott Adams

gerryrobinson

• Gerry Robinson Photography
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2013, 02:52:22 pm »

Hi Mike
I had a similar problem,with LR3,on my older computer.
It was a very basic HP machine and was doing ok until I added
A third internal hard drive.
It turned out that my power supply just couldn't keep up with the demand.
Removed the added drive and things went back to normal.
My new comp has a 750 watt supply rated @ 85%.
I'm now on LR4 and if the cloning tool slows too much,I'll
Make sure I turn off auto write changes to xmp in the LR preferences to speed things
back up a bit
Hope this helps
Gerry

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2013, 01:06:43 pm »

LR 5 is awful with the spot tool and the Intuos 5 tablet.
FWIW, I also had a compatibility problem between LR2 and a wacom tablet, giving erratic and slower behavior of the retouch pen - I just had to disable some of the wacom software to solve it (the handwriting recognizing driver if I remember correctly).
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery

Kit-V

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2013, 10:29:11 am »

Same slow response time using the Radial Filter with LR5.2.
Falling Fork Photography

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2013, 02:39:17 pm »

Ditto, unfortunately.  Frustrating.  I built this machine so LR 4 would go fast.  It did.  Two steps backward.

W7 Pro, i7 Ivy, 32 gigs RAM, SSD for program, separate SSD for catalog & scratch, fast HDD - less than half full for image files.  NEC PA271.

Rand

Unresponsiveness with that hardware? Hard to imagine it has anything to do with lack of system resources, which I assumed was the normal cause of this kind of problem. One more reason for me to wait before moving to LR5.

FWIW, I currently use LR4 on a modern Mac Mini (current OS) with an internal SSD and an Intuos 3 Tablet and no lack of responsiveness that I can find. However, I normally do heavy spotting in Photoshop and normally use a separate mouse (not the Intuos one) when I do spotting in LR. I nearly always use the Lens Correction feature in LR and that is one of the first things I apply. I want LR 5 to work as well as this with my current system or I wont use it.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 02:48:30 pm by David Eichler »

Rand47

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2013, 03:20:31 pm »

Unresponsiveness with that hardware? Hard to imagine it has anything to do with lack of system resources, which I assumed was the normal cause of this kind of problem. One more reason for me to wait before moving to LR5.

FWIW, I currently use LR4 on a modern Mac Mini (current OS) with an internal SSD and an Intuos 3 Tablet and no lack of responsiveness that I can find. However, I normally do heavy spotting in Photoshop and normally use a separate mouse (not the Intuos one) when I do spotting in LR. I nearly always use the Lens Correction feature in LR and that is one of the first things I apply. I want LR 5 to work as well as this with my current system or I wont use it.

Hi David,

If you look down the post a bit, you'll notice that I discovered the problem wasn't LR5, it was my Wacom table software, and limited to using the pen to move "the selected area" with the clone/heal adjustment brush.  I've notified Wacom of this and hopefully they'll be able to sort the driver for the tablet. 

In all fairness I need to report that LR 5.2 RC is VERY responsive on my machine.  It pretty much never gets in my way due to speed issues (as it shouldn't with the hardware I have).  On the other hand, "I" get in my way a lot.   ;D

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Rand47

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2013, 08:27:54 pm »

I've notified Wacom of this and hopefully they'll be able to sort the driver for the tablet. 

I've received a response from Wacom stating that they are aware of the issue and are working with Adobe to fix it.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams
Pages: [1]   Go Up