Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: IQ180 and Mamiya 24mm fish-eye - experiences?  (Read 15199 times)

ondebanks

Re: IQ180 and Mamiya 24mm fish-eye - experiences?
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2013, 08:17:37 am »

Great result from the "shaved" lens Gerald, and I'm delighted that I directed you to it.

One can see from your test shot how sharp this lens is, even on the IQ180's small pixels.
The edge result is pretty good too - there is some lateral colour that should process out well I think, as it just reflects slightly different image scales in the R/G/B colour planes.

Ray

PS that's a fine collection of gear on your shelves! I spotted a Fuji GX680 in there...

gerald.d

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2013, 09:34:58 am »

Great result from the "shaved" lens Gerald, and I'm delighted that I directed you to it.

One can see from your test shot how sharp this lens is, even on the IQ180's small pixels.
The edge result is pretty good too - there is some lateral colour that should process out well I think, as it just reflects slightly different image scales in the R/G/B colour planes.

Ray

PS that's a fine collection of gear on your shelves! I spotted a Fuji GX680 in there...

Much obliged to you indeed :)

I don't really have any specific use lined up for it right now, but it was too good an opportunity to pass up on. Just need to find that special shot later in the year when the weather clears up.

The GX680 is sadly under-utilised. Again - one of those bargain opportunities that I just couldn't walk away from. One day I'll try to do it justice!

Kind regards,

Gerald.

/edit
Incidentally, I did some tests yesterday of the Canon 8-15, 17TSE, 24TSE, Rodie 23 and 32, and the Mamiya 24 fish-eye. I'll try to find some time to post up some comparisons between the 23 and the two 24's. Very interesting results indeed.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 09:43:12 am by gerald.d »

mjon

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2013, 04:40:03 am »

Incidentally, I did some tests yesterday of the Canon 8-15, 17TSE, 24TSE, Rodie 23 and 32, and the Mamiya 24 fish-eye. I'll try to find some time to post up some comparisons between the 23 and the two 24's. Very interesting results indeed.
I'd love to see the results - or read what you think about 17TSE/24TSE versus Rodie! Now that there is the FPS which is roughly the prize of one Rodie I'm wondering if the FPS with a Canon lens makes more sense than an investment in a Rodie ...

Mjon

gerald.d

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2013, 07:17:57 am »

I'd love to see the results - or read what you think about 17TSE/24TSE versus Rodie! Now that there is the FPS which is roughly the prize of one Rodie I'm wondering if the FPS with a Canon lens makes more sense than an investment in a Rodie ...

Mjon

17TSE has no competition. Is it as good as a Rodenstock, ignoring focal length? No. But it allows you to shoot the impossible, and I cannot recommend the FPS/17TSE (or for that matter, HCam/17TSE) solution highly enough. It prints well too - http://instagram.com/p/cbEcnnSlSP/ . I bought the Hcam and 17TSE just for that one shot. Nothing else on the planet can capture that.

24TSE against the 23HR is close. you have to really stop down the Canon (f/11 minimum, better at f/16) to get the best out of it, but it's very, very close when you do. If you need to open up more than f/11, the 23HR spanks it.

For the moment, here's an Instagram of a screen shot of the 17, 24, 23 and 32 (all at f/11). I'll work on something better than this over the weekend.

http://instagram.com/p/c9zMAtylb3/

Kind regards,

Gerald.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 07:20:21 am by gerald.d »

mjon

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2013, 02:03:13 pm »

Thanks a lot, Gerald! That brings me closer to the FPS, not sure if this is a good thing :-)

Mjon

chrismuc

« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2013, 03:38:03 pm »

ur right gerald
if  you can't step back coz the construction fence is ruining your picture ... you can use a rendering ... or you have to step in and mount the 17 on the fps :-)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up