Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Blackmagic Pocket Camera Article  (Read 6726 times)

Sareesh Sudhakaran

• The Indie Farm
The Blackmagic Pocket Camera Article
« on: July 08, 2013, 10:14:34 pm »

This is regarding this article: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/anticipating_the_blackmagic_pocket_cinema_camaera.shtml It's great to see Lula focusing on what is potentially the biggest game changer since the Canon 5D Mark II, and Red One.

CinemaDNG is an Adobe originated format for raw video. For that reason, any program that can input a DNG file can import CinemaDNG. What do you end up with? Hundreds or even thousands of small DNG still images, which is what video frames are anyhow.

I'm not sure this is always true. It depends on how the DNG is written. Resolve cannot open DNG frames from Magic Lantern RAW, and FCP-X cannot open the same - even though both can open CinemaDNG files (FCP-X opens them as DNG still images, though!).

The biggest problem is the correct implementation of CinemaDNG, along with metadata. This is where Adobe needs to step up its game - with XMP and CinemaDNG.

Blackmagic Design obviously works closely with Apple. The BMPCC and the 4K models support compressed CinemaDNG, which is sure to make things even more complicated.

I'm more interested in the 4K version, which offers better audio, greater resolution and the full version of Resolve. It is the more practical tool for professional filmmaking. As for the pocket camera, it remains to be seen if it can perform in situations where a GoPro is today, king.

Get the Free Comprehensive Guide to Rigging ANY Camera - one guide to rig them all - DSLRs to the Arri Alexa.

Tony Jay

Re: The Blackmagic Pocket Camera Article
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 07:29:36 pm »

The 4K version has the potential to turn everything on its head in the video/cinematography world.
Perhaps the only stumbling block is the production capacity of Blackmagic Design to actually manufacture for the demand.

Either way every other player will be forced to up its game.

Tony Jay

Sareesh Sudhakaran

• The Indie Farm
Re: The Blackmagic Pocket Camera Article
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 04:28:13 am »

Resolve cannot open DNG frames from Magic Lantern RAW

How things change in the span of a week. This is no longer true, Resolve now supports DNG files with the latest update.

I'm itching to get a 4K BMCC, but I won't until I know I have an entire support system in place for it.
Get the Free Comprehensive Guide to Rigging ANY Camera - one guide to rig them all - DSLRs to the Arri Alexa.
Pages: [1]   Go Up