Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice sought on using singh ray variable ND filter  (Read 815 times)

Bob_B

• It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
Advice sought on using singh ray variable ND filter
« on: July 07, 2013, 06:40:47 pm »

Knowing that there are good and bad features to variable ND filters, I hope to get some pointers on how to most effectively use one. The chief problem I face is when shooting wide angle (11-16mm) and asking the filter to stop down the light to allow shutter drag. Seems that no matter how little I stopdown the SR, I end up with some polarized darkening of areas of the image (180 degrees opposed to each other). Yes, I recognize I could opt to buy a constant ND filter or go with a higher mm lens, but is there anything else to try?

Thanks in advance for your advice and useful suggestions.

Bob
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

stevesanacore

Re: Advice sought on using singh ray variable ND filter
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 04:41:02 am »

I would guess if you don't want anything polarized, you may need to stick with standard ND filters. But I'm no expert for sure.

I've been looking to pickup a few myself. What are the disadvantages to them? I know there can be an issue with ND's that don't block IR but I assumed that was already addressed with any filters sold today from reputable manufactures.

I shopped for a few last month in NY and couldn't find any sizes I needed in stock at BH, Fotocare or Calumet. I guess they are not popular - or too popular?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 04:42:59 am by stevesanacore »
We don't know what we don't know.

Bob_B

• It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
Re: Advice sought on using singh ray variable ND filter
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 12:43:12 pm »

Any other suggestions?
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up