Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia  (Read 1175 times)

redadept

Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
« on: July 07, 2013, 09:32:50 am »

Hello all --

New to the forum, but I've enjoyed reading the posts and comments here, so I hope to make a small contribution now and then.  I've been experimenting with Topaz Adjust, a Lightroom plugin that applies HDR-like effects to a single exposure.  In this instance, I think a slight adjustment does help to define the water texture in the wave burst below the lighthouse rocks.  On the other hand, the colors may be a tad bit 'gaudy'.

Comments and opinions appreciated ...

Best,

-- Darrell

Riaan van Wyk

Re: Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 11:39:08 am »

Welcome to the forum Darrel. Pleasing composition, I like the cohesiveness amongst the elements.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 02:04:10 pm »

Welcome to the forum Darrel. Pleasing composition, I like the cohesiveness amongst the elements.
Likewise. And it's not too gaudy for my eyes.

Eric M.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Harald L

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 02:12:13 pm »

+1

I like it to play with the tones even if the subject has been captured several thousand times.
Glad to be an amateur

seamus finn

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 02:28:28 pm »

It's a lovely shot but I think the whites could be toned down in the waves.

redadept

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 10:41:35 pm »

It's a lovely shot but I think the whites could be toned down in the waves.

Thanks to all for the comments -- I agree the whites in the waves are a bit overpowering, but it's a bit tricky to get the 'feel' of waves / foam without blowing out the highlights or turning the white foam slightly grey, hence my attempt with Topaz Adjust.  Here's a reference shot direct from Lightroom with the usual adjustments for contrast and exposure and some dodging on the lighthouse using the adjustment brush.

Ideas on how to 'pop' the waves without losing detail would be welcome, as I do like this composition.  Interestingly, one of my wife's co-workers wanted a print of the image because it "looks just like a painting", while another remarked that it looked "too washed out".  What to do, what to do ...  :)

-- Darrell

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 12:15:03 am »

LR version so much better. God, I hate "art" filters and canned "solutions." The image does have a painterly quality, and is not "too washed out," in my opinion at least. Maybe you could add a bit of contrast for "pop", but you might lose that pastel feeling then.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 01:43:26 am »

Hi Darrell, and welcome to the forum!  Of the two I prefer the second, but unless you're working to please a client, the final decision must be yours.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

nemo295

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 01:47:22 am »

I'd like to see what the shot looks like when processed normally, without Topaz Adjust. The light in both examples looks very unnatural to me, although it's a bit less egregious in the second version.
Pages: [1]   Go Up