Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Resolution test with the X20 in the field  (Read 8409 times)

gerafotografija

• gerafotografija.wordpress.com
Resolution test with the X20 in the field
« on: July 07, 2013, 04:15:27 am »

In the field, in this case was the Oakland A's stadium. I usually find it difficult to gauge resolution performance with landscape, nature or portrait photos. Human faces just on the edge of resolving power definitely make a noticeable impression.

It seems this little fixed (permanently affixed zoom) lens camera will provide reasonable 11"x14" prints, and I may need to limit it to 8"x12" for close up viewing with fine detail. I did recently make a couple prints at around 16"x24" that turned out very well after up-rezing, but one was a simple head and shoulders portrait, and the other was an abstract landscape. At least with the techniques I am aware of, that seems to be about the limit for this 12mp sensor.

My blog post has more detail regarding the processing, but here are 100% crops before and after increasing resolution to about the maximum I would normally attempt.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 02:21:43 pm by gerafotografija »

RFPhotography

Re: Resolution test with the X20 in the field
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 07:01:13 am »

I thought the X20 had a built-in zoom lens.  ???

OldRoy

• http://
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 12:54:49 pm »

I thought the X20 had a built-in zoom lens.  ???
Where did it say it didn't? The post referred to a "fixed" lens. Of course maybe it actually meant a repaired lens...
I've recommended this camera for someone who'd like something better than a phone-cam. I handled it a couple of days ago and shot a few quick snaps (RAW & jpeg) and I must say it's a very attractive example of this market sector. The pix don't look bad at all either.
Roy

gerafotografija

• gerafotografija.wordpress.com
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 02:00:52 pm »

Sorry for the possible confusion, I meant non-interchangeable lens, it's an equivalent to FF 28-112mm f2.0-2.8 (at maximum focal length for this pic).

I've been pleasantly surprised by its all around good performance (moving up to great at around f/4 in good light). I'm hoping to see something very similar, with slightly lower noise levels and slightly more resolution at extreme apertures, from the X30 when it comes out.

RFPhotography

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 03:46:16 pm »

Where did it say it didn't? The post referred to a "fixed" lens. Of course maybe it actually meant a repaired lens...
I've recommended this camera for someone who'd like something better than a phone-cam. I handled it a couple of days ago and shot a few quick snaps (RAW & jpeg) and I must say it's a very attractive example of this market sector. The pix don't look bad at all either.
Roy

Yes, it referred to a 'fixed' lens.  When I think of 'fixed' lens I tend to think single focal length.  Gerafotografija clarified.  Issue resolved.

OldRoy

• http://
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 06:23:07 am »

I frequently forget to add a ;-). Humour was intended, if not actually achieved: apologies.
Roy
Pages: [1]   Go Up