Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 9900-Canson Infinity Fibre Roll Scratches  (Read 1451 times)

tjphototx

Epson 9900-Canson Infinity Fibre Roll Scratches
« on: July 06, 2013, 07:31:46 pm »

I just purchased a new 44 inch roll of Canson Infinity Platine Fibre to use with my Epson 9900.
On some but not all of the images there are some strange scratches or tracks. I have tried different
platen gap settings. This has never happened with the Epson papers I have tried. This is the first photo black
paper I have tried with this printer in roll form. I've used Epson Exhibition Fiber Sheets with no problem.
The scratches/tracks aren't in the same place every time.
I have included a photo of what the scratches/tracks look like.
Thanks in advance for any help.

John Caldwell

Re: Epson 9900-Canson Infinity Fibre Roll Scratches
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 09:22:38 pm »

These are head strikes. They are occurring at the print (carriage) center based upon what we see in your image - where the media deflection towards the head is at maximum. It is more apt to occur on large width media - hence your experience is just like mine, meaning 44"roll > 24" roll > sheet sizes. I believe strikes are more prone when clearance between head and paper are critical (probably obvious), and paper swell with ink adsorption is part of that clearance. The paper swell is not a constant across all images, and it's the swell towards the carriage center that counts most, in my experience.

My solution to Epson 9900 heads strikes on Canson Baryta Photographique 44" rolls was to increase drying time to +30 in the Epson driver. I also increased platen to 4 above the default value of 3. You make want to try even longer head dwell times if you still have strikes. I've not printed on Platine in 44"rolls, so I don't know if it's better or worse than the Canson Baryta.

Tell us how it's going.

John Caldwell
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 09:24:23 pm by John Caldwell »

tjphototx

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 09:49:36 pm »

Thank you John, I should have thought of this. However, I don't understand one of your suggestions. You suggest increasing platen to 4 about default value of three.
In my printer dialog on OS 10.7.5 my platen settings reads auto, standard, wide, wider, narrow.
Thank you for all of this help. I'm sure increasing the drying time alone will help a lot.

tjphototx

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 10:20:03 pm »

I tried the wider platen gap setting and printed the print at +30 like you suggested. This print is perfect.

Thank you again.

Thom
Pages: [1]   Go Up